General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

I'm very excited today because I have an excuse to buy some new tools. My son got the recommended personal tool list from work and it has 2 die grinders and a 3" cut off tool on it. They just recommend the central pneumatic versions, which range from $10 to $18, and I suspect those are fine tools to cut and grind plastic, but since I'm buying these and will also use them with him at home, I'm planning to upgrade a little bit.

Looking at the Astro Pneumatic onyx die grinders and an aircat cut off tool. The aircat die grinders also look nice, but they don't have a safety on the trigger, and that seems like a reasonable thing to have. The aircat cut off tool has no safety either, so maybe it's also not the best option, but it looks comfortable and gets great reviews.

Have you guys got any favorites?
Todd
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Ifnits air buy IR. Ingersoll Rand.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

safties suck.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For cut-off angle grinders, Metabo with the paddle safety switch.
For die- belt- grinding, Dynafile.
End of story in my shop.
JustTheDad

Metabo makes air tools?
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Check where Astro are made these days;they used to be of Japanese mfg years back, but now ? ? A lot of brand names are now made in chicomland and don't last.

I don't know where you're located, but it used to be worth cruising the bigger flea markets for new and used quality air tools, such as Dotco, Cleco, Aro, Ingersoll-Rand, Chicago Pneumatic and others, made in the US and Japan.
Jakedaawg wrote:safties suck.

+ 1 !!
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Rather than safties, see which ones have a better speed adjustment. Some need a flat screwdriver to adjust, others just have a knob. My LWS carries Norton die grinders and they've worked great for me.

Also nice to have both straight and 90⁰ versions.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I have a bunch of Astro-pneumatics and I like how they work for me. I have a 4" cut-off, three belt sanders, and a 3" cut off. No issues with them for hobby level work.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Jakedaawg wrote:safties suck.
I love paddle switches and I love their safeties. They either slide or snap right off, bye bye . Nothing but a senseless annoyance on those type tools!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

drizler1 wrote:I love paddle switches and I love their safeties.
So that's what the safeties are that folks were referring to. I hate those SOBs...

I have a smaller die grinder I use with a 2" rotoloc as it doesn't use very much air and allows me to continuously use it with a 9 cfm @90 psi compressor. I think that one is a Central Pneumatics. (not to be confused with the HF stuff)

I have a slightly large one with one of those safeties, from Home Depot, I think it's a Husky brand, I hate it.

I agree it's handy to have a straight and right angle. There are times I wish I had a right angle die grinder...that's on my list of things to acquire.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad

I ordered him astro pneumatic die grinders and and an aircat cut off tool.
After handling them, he actually preferred how the switches with safeties felt, and he likes the idea of having a safety. He's 18 and cautious with power tools, and he's also working around parts that cost 10 to 20 times his annual salary, so why not.
We're going to swap the aircat cut off tool for an astro pneumatic one with the toggle safety.
Personal preference I guess.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve had to many close calls to hate the new safeties. They call them near misses now. Thought I hated them at first but now, I’ll make new guys use them, and flag the old guys when they don’t.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:I’ve had to many close calls to hate the new safeties. They call them near misses now. Thought I hated them at first but now, I’ll make new guys use them, and flag the old guys when they don’t.
Josh,

I've had them work against me. Using a die grinder, lift up slightly and have the paddle locked, then get it pushed back in and in the process end up with a gouge in my material, depending on what type of bit/cutter I'm using. Just depends on what I'm using in the die grinder, but in general I've grown to dislike them. The safety on the paddle angle grinders is not as bad, but I still prefer the lock on switch. All of our mileage varies. Probably just not being comfortable enough with the safety, some people swear by the paddle/safety on the angle grinder also.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad

TraditionalToolworks wrote: I've had them work against me. Using a die grinder, lift up slightly and have the paddle locked, then get it pushed back in and in the process end up with a gouge in my material, depending on what type of bit/cutter I'm using.
Good point. I'll remind him not to rely on the safety to prevent accidents. Just like cars and firearms, right? The most important safety is between your ears.
RollOutWelding
    Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:05 pm

I personally love ingersoll rand pneumatic tools. Can't go wrong with them
JustTheDad

I've always thought the IR tools were pretty solid too. In this case, we wound up with astro pneumatic die grinders and their reversible cut off tool. My son's a lefty at some things, so reversible cut off tool seemed worth an extra $20 or such. Safety... .

I did get him Cubitron II cut off wheels based on how much people here seemed to like the grinding discs. I know they're not necessary for cutting carbon fiber composites, but I figured maybe they'd be a touch tougher and less likely to become projectiles. 3" and .065" thick. He already knows to wear a full face shield when using those.

Thanks again for the feedback earlier.
Todd

JustTheDad wrote: He already knows to wear a full face shield when using those.

Thanks again for the feedback earlier.
Todd
Sounds like you made a good choice Todd, don't forget even with a face shield you need safety glasses too
Richard
Website