General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Bramic71
    Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:01 am

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to welding except for the HH140 we have at work that tac with every once in a while. I am looking for a welder for my shop at home. I am looking for advice on a welder that will give me structural strength if I should decide to weld on my utility trailer in the future. The trailer is 3/16th angle. I dont plan on welding anything over 1/4". If I were to ever weld a tongue on my trailer or anything else critical, it would be in the future after I learn the trade. I do plan on building a table and some decorative items as well.
All I have at this time is 120v in my shop, but I do have an electrical panel. If needed, I could get a 220v plug wired in.
I know the Hobart 140 is not going to give me the structural strength that I would be looking for after the trade is learned, practiced, and becomes second nature.
In your opinions, what would be a good welder to look at to accomplish my goal. Was looking at the Hobart StickMate 160i, but there are so many others. Thank you, Mike
COwelder
    Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am

Mike,
I would guess that the 140 would be fine (never used that exact model though). Just bevel joints and do a few passes if its thick.
That being said, if you want more power in an entry-level welder I would recommend buying a used "buzz-box" transformer welder such as a miller thunderbolt, lincoln tombstone, or Montgomery Ward. Those things typically sell for a couple to a few hundred dollars, are pretty reliable, and have plenty of power. You are going to want 220v with 50amp breaker. The downside will be the learning curve is much steeper than a little wire-feed machine, but will help you in the long-run if you stick with it. Also, it is very difficult to stick weld thin metal without burning through (16 Ga is as thin as ive ever done). Good luck
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A smaller MIG box is perfectly fine for your trailer. If possible, the best value you can purchase is a unit that is dual voltage 120/240 to give you flexibility for power sources.

Even with a 20 amp 120v circuit, many smaller wire feeders can weld what you describe. Using Flux Core wire on those units is probably the process I would choose over MIG due to strength. Also, a decent MIG will also run 7018 Stick rods so you can toggle between those choices. You don't need to run 6010. 6011/13 is perfectly suitable, 7018 is even better all around.