General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JFMurphyIII
    Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm

I need to make 150 items that involve welding a 1" thick steel shank to a 1/4" steel plate. Any suggestions on what process I should use or any other information on general? The boss wants me to use wire feed, but I don't think it will hold. Thoughts?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Why wouldn't wire-feed work? Even straight flux-core can do this with an adequate machine.

Do a test piece and beat the hell out of it. It may surprise you.

I'd use a Miller 250/1/2 depending on shop power, .035 wire, high Amps (say, 22 V, 380-400 IPM), lots of spatter spray, and spend more time on the 1" then the 1/4".

The choice of wire depends on the base metal. for carbon steel, E70-S2 is better if you can clean the metal well first. If you don't have the time to completely remove mill-scale, E70-S6 is the better choice. (MIG wires, obviously.)
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Wire feed would work best for this, I would think. Steves settings are right, but I would probably go a little bit lower. Of course, that all depends on the nuances of your machine. Wire feed on this will give the cleanest look, too.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Not hold? Why? 70S wire has a tensile strength of 70,000 psi So does 7018.
as long as the mig is set high enough to get penetration into the base material it hold as well as anything else.
Depending on position you could also stick weld them. Or, dual shield.
Mig's advantage is a lot of wire and minimal clean up.

Stop believing all the BS that mig is somehow weaker than all other welding processes.
Parts of the pressure hull of a submarine are mig welded. Spray transfer but still mig.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

JFMurphyIII.

I understand you are to weld a tee-joint.
A 1" thick shank to a 1/4" steel plate.

What is the dimensions of the shaft?
What is the alloy of the shaft?
What is the alloy of the steel plate?

How to you plan to prepare the joint, as a fillet weld or/and a partial penetration weld?

Tanks.
Alexa
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Good question. I would also ask about speed & volts settings. Would you 'aim' the wire more towards the thick part? I have managed the same thing,thick to thin, but just 'managed' to. So I too will be waiting for answers. Most folks here know more than me about welding, I 'can' weld, but I'm not a welder, , , -corn-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I agree with everyone that Mig with sufficient power should be fine ( I like the idea of "scientific" testing as well ! ) but if I'm interpeting the stated 1" shank to be either 1" round or square is it possible to cut a hole in the 1/4" plate so the shank can be placed part thickness through the plate & plug welded into the plate - then make a run round it on the other side - if so this would be a very strong joint that would tear the 1/4" material apart before the weld let go - maybe a drawing or picture of the intended piece would make it easier for us to help advise you.
All the best with it.
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

A little pre-heat on the 1" material wouldn't hurt either.