General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
szanderboyx
    Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 am

Hey all decided to step up to the 21stbone century and buy a newer machine problem is i didnt think out selling the one i have. It is a Lincoln idealarc 300/300 wet torch.
Selling it for a 1k wasnt bright now i only have a grand to spend on a new machine.? Anyone know of a decent ac/dc hivh freq machine for 1kthe to the door?
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

You can probably get an Everlast 200DX for that kinda money. You're down on output, but get pulse and freq adjustment and use a lot less electricity. S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
szanderboyx

Will it do all metals under 1/4"?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

szanderboyx wrote:Will it do all metals under 1/4"?
Oh, yeah. Just pay attention to the duty cycle if you do 1/4 aluminum. It should even be capable of 3/8" or more aluminum if you have access to helium.

Caveat-- I've never used that machine myself, but I've read many first-person reviews. It's quite capable and versatile.

Steve S
szanderboyx

I like what ive read so far but i might have to get the 185sale shipping is expensive
szanderboyx

Well i bought the miller diversion 165 i hope it handles my workload any pros cons??
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations!

I've not used the machine, so I can't speak to performance. If 165 is the max amps available in AC as well, you'll still be able to do 3/16" with straight argon, and higher with a helium/argon mix. I rarely weld above 150A in DC, even on heavy sections, as I usually do multiple passes on the thick stuff. If I'm above 150 on anything, I'm in a hurry.

Just read up on the duty cycle, so you don't abuse the machine, and enjoy!

Steve S