General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Ever get one of those little metal slivers in your hand that are so small you can barely see them, but they hurt like heck if you push on them the wrong way?
You want to pull it out, but all of the tweezers are missing because your co-workers or bosses kid has taken them to smoke roaches out back....

Never fear, Good Shop Tips are here!

Good Shop Tip #1) Calipers make great tweezers.
Attachments
splinter.jpg
splinter.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Great. Thanks.

I'll find my calipers out back with a crispy roach in them...

You're a lot of help! :lol:

My #4 hemostat is missing. That was my go-to tool for removing things from my skin.
delraydella

Did you look out back?
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

delraydella wrote:Did you look out back?
:lol: :lol: 8-)

Yes, actually...
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

A disposable razor can snag metal slivers as well.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

some emery paper work well
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
reddtigger
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

if you're like me, your shop is also the family garage.. so you end up with a lotta extra junk..

Here's a tip for getting fishing poles out of the way...

Some shelf brackets, different sized PVC pipe, and a piece of wood..
Just learning...... welding noob
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Whenever I get a sliver or any other problem
that requires assistance, I call a professional.
Attachments
bikini nurse.jpg
bikini nurse.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 2114 times

Good lord! My wife would tell her I have a DNR order! :D
delraydella

I want your health plan, WerkSpace!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

My tip is for any would be rock climbers.... throw your ropes away and get a Mig gun. Ever notice how those things get snagged on the littlest obstruction and hang on like they are glued there. I know you should do a dry run and all that, but I always forget.

Mick

As mentioned on a previous post, a block of camphor in your toolbox keeps your tools from rusting.
As the camphor evaporates, it coats your tools with a very fine mist of camphor oil.
These camphor blocks are available at your local drug store for a buck or two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvitqo7mSo
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

"... Keeping rust off your tools. (...) Keep small amounts of solid (block-style) camphor in the drawers of your tool boxes and cabinets. Camphor gives off fumes that will form a rust preventative coating on all your tools. It's available from many woodworking catalogs, as well as your local pharmacy. (...) Keep the camphor in ordinary, small medicine bottles, like those used for prescription medications. Drill a series of small holes in the lid (or the bottom) to allow the camphor fumes to escape and permeate the drawer or cabinet: (...)

CAUTION: Camphor fumes can be dangerous under certain conditions. Be sure to read and understand all of the instructions that come with the camphor prior to using it. ..."

Source: http://www.cabinetshoptips.com/

I saw this disc grinder adapter on YouTube.
It looks like it could have a lot of uses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5Fu7TYuGQ
CARS
    Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

I see this all the time at work. A few air tools laying on a bench, nipple facing them, grab a grinder and start grinding all that dust right into the nipples. Pretty fast way to kill an air tool.

Same could be said for the air tool holders that hold the tools by the nipple. Put a cap of some sort over the nipple to keep the dust out.
Christopher Rathman

Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

For those tiny slivers use a piece of tape. Any tape really, but electrical and duct tape have been the best.

Put it over the sliver, rud onto skin, wait a minute or two and rip the tape off in the opposite direction of the paid....
reddtigger
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

CARS wrote:I see this all the time at work. A few air tools laying on a bench, nipple facing them, grab a grinder and start grinding all that dust right into the nipples. Pretty fast way to kill an air tool.

Same could be said for the air tool holders that hold the tools by the nipple. Put a cap of some sort over the nipple to keep the dust out.
a simple and cheap solution is to use the cap from a dried out sharpie marker.. They'll fit most nipples.
Just learning...... welding noob

reddtigger wrote:
CARS wrote:I see this all the time at work. A few air tools laying on a bench, nipple facing them, grab a grinder and start grinding all that dust right into the nipples. Pretty fast way to kill an air tool.

a simple and cheap solution is to use the cap from a dried out sharpie marker.. They'll fit most nipples.
That's a keeper. There's no shortage of dried-up sharpies at my work!

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Any of you guys ever anneal aluminum? We use a lot of 11 gauge and 1/4" such as 5052. Often times, I have to make a warped or curved fit, say, for a band-aid repair on an irregular casting. Instead of using the soot method, I just take a MAPP torch and heat it to where the 'flame' itself starts turning orange where it contacts the metal. Quench it and it becomes very pliable, even by hand. This also works with solid rod for making hardware or tie down hooks and closed loops. There is a shelf life for annealed aluminum. After so many weeks or months, much of it's temper will return, if the welding and slow cooling doesn't restore some of it. Sometimes, I have to make attachment flanges that fit into radius'd inside corners. You can bend it by hand around a piece of pipe close to the same radius as the curve, or even just eyeball it, or force fit it.

The possibilities are endless once you get a feel for it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

My wife would not have to tell Her, just fill out the Coroners paperwork for an "accident".