General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Hey guys been awhile since I posted just been really busy travleing. So I just got flash burned for the third time and I am only 25. I want to try to avoid this from happening again. Obviously I know not to look at the arc but I work in the food and dairy industry building tanks, vats, piping and cat walks and usually there is 5 or more guys working on these things at once and it can make it difficult to avoid seeing a arc. I was wondering if there is some sort of safety glasses like a auto darkening safety glasses. Or if like a 3 shade safety glass would help any? I just want something for when I am not welding.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I think it depends a bit on how close you all are / process / amps being used & how sensitive your eyes are - sometimes it's not practical but portable screens are useful in this situation.

Safety glasses sold for plasma cutting are quite good - usually a shade 4 or so - " Bolle " make some nice ones

Some of the recent auto darkening hoods can be switched to permanent light state ( again usually shade 4 ) for when your not welding ( referred to here as " grind mode " ) - depends on how much peripheral vision you require for what your doing - Speedglass make some with fixed shade side " windows " that improve this.

Never seen auto darkening glasses except the sunglasses " Zaphod Beeblebrox " had in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy they turned dark in proportion to the current danger posed to the wearer - so if they turned completely black you were probably about to die - at least you never saw it coming - I rather liked the idea never thought they were actually available - but having watched some of the Russian car crash stuff on Utube - perhaps they are !
ajlskater1

I think I just have really sensitive eyes. My buddy can stare at my arc at 300 amps and nothing happens, yes I know he is dumb but his choice I warned him. Portable screens are not practical because a lot of times we are inside these tanks and vats. I have a new Miller helmet but I don't like to wear it unless I am welding. I will check out those bolle cutting glasses, I hope they take the edge off enough that this stops from happening. I think its from just catching glimpses of the other people arc all day long.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Back in my shipyard days I figured out most flash burns come from the side.
I wore fairly dark safety glasses and added the dark side shields. That really minimized
my getting flashed. BTW, you want a bad flash? Try the arc from 5/8" carbon arc rods! :shock: :o :( :?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Some places will not let you wear a dark tint indoors, but if it's permitted, do it. Find a good wrap around pair. I have a pair I spent $18 on from the local Fastenall store, and fit almost like "foggles". There's very little room for light to enter in a path to my eye without passing through the lens.

Whether you can have dark tints or not, look for 100% UVA/UVB rating, and wide opaque "legs" from the hinge to the earpiece.

Here's an example of a good wrap-around:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... erByStore=

I'm pretty sure this is the current version of the one I own:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... erByStore=

Steve S
ajlskater1

I talked to my work earlier they had no problem with me wearing darker tint indoors. I could only imagine how bad a 5/8 carbon would hurt. I know the one time I was welding 1 inch al all day and it reflected up in my helmet my eyes wear swelled shit for two days. It sounds like I will be getting some tight fitting shade 4 glasses. Thanks for the input.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just look for that wrap-around... Make it hard for light to find a direct path to your eye, and be sure you've got UV rated glasses.

Flashburn SUCKS OUT LOUD!

Steve S
ajlskater1

Yes I hate it cause it always comes up in the middle of the night and I live by myself so I takes awhile to find someone to drive me to the hospital lol. Especially when your eyes swell.shut.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Dude. Sorry bout your eyes! I just had some arc flash a couple weeks ago. It inspired me to get some Miller safety glasses. Yes, the same Miller as the welding machines. The ones I got are a shade 3, so they're fine for wearing inside and I can even see just fine in them driving a little after sunset. They said 100% UV protection, exactly what I needed. I haven't had a situation where I could have gotten arc flash again, but I don't think it'll happen again. The foam padding on the inside is pretty comfortable, and they don't squeeze the hell out of your head, so you can wear them a while. I don't like wearing them under the hood because it gets too foggy, but I keep em handy so they go on when the hood comes off.

Good luck, don't look at the light!
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
ajlskater1

Thanks Nathan I will check them out. I love my Miller helmets and welders, they are all I have used used at work and at home I am always happy with Miller products.