General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ Qwerty12.
In a further attempt to help you obtain a reliable welding mask in your budget without offending you by charity I have spoken today to the importer of the mask I suggested previously as I know them quite well - they had not yet replied to you as the postal service they normally use does not send to your location - they were going to find out today about sending it - I also explained you were on a budget & they are going to check if they have either a display model or one with slight blemish on the shell as they sell these off cheaper ( perfect working order - but the transfer picture on the shell may not be perfect ) - if they find one they should Email you today or possibly tomorrow with the details - I have bought several masks from them in the past & they are good reliable people - they sell only welding masks & have done so for several years - the masks are obviously Chinese manufacture but they choose carefully the source & if you buy one from them I am confident you will be happy with it.
Hope this helps.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

TamJeff wrote:Did not note qwerty's location or his predicament, so I apologize if my post sounded condescending. 99 out of 100 of these requests would be some youngster here in the US with an 800.00 cell phone with all the apps and games, cutting corners on more important things. Many kids are even reluctant to furnish their own basic hand tools here these days. You have to make them do it.
Qwerty12 is in Bosnia. Operating in a "second-world" economy at best, with difficult/limited access to the "first world". Since that region (Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Herzogovena) has only recently emerged from civil wars and "ethnic cleansings", I'd expect the economy to compare to the deep south during reconstruction, post American civil war.

They are at least on the Euro, so the currency is stable. I'm assuming he's in or near a major town/city, since he has regular internet access, snail mail, and a source for his welding rod.

I'm still a bit surprised at the results he's getting, welding thin rusty body panels with a buzzbox.

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Braehill wrote:I too still have the flip front Fibre-metal that I would guess was purchased sometime in the late sixties. I know it's that old because when I was 5 years old and trying to teach myself to weld in the basement I was using it. But my mother said "You're stinking up the house and running up the electric bill" and made me stop.

The welder, that also still works, was an old copper coil Lincoln buzzbox. I wasn't strong enough to drag it outside, so I had to wait for one of my older brothers to come from school to help me. So I went to the small wooden garage we had and fired up the torch and got an old coat hanger like I had seen my dad do and welded my bicycle back together. Then about an hour later had to do it again, then again, then I tore down the jump that was causing all this learning to take place. Haven't thought about that in many years.

Seems like I've been in welding school for over 44 years and still no degree to speak of. Wow I'm a slow learner.

Len
it's funny what you remember after all these years. my first shield which was a gift from a retired navy welder had a strap that rested across my chin after i flipped it down. you don't see those anymore.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I think if I remember right @ 5 years old it might well have rested on my chin but not by design. LOL

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Otto Nobedder wrote: Qwerty12 is in Bosnia. Operating in a "second-world" economy at best, with difficult/limited access to the "first world". Since that region (Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Herzogovena) has only recently emerged from civil wars and "ethnic cleansings", I'd expect the economy to compare to the deep south during reconstruction, post American civil war.

They are at least on the Euro, so the currency is stable. I'm assuming he's in or near a major town/city, since he has regular internet access, snail mail, and a source for his welding rod.

I'm still a bit surprised at the results he's getting, welding thin rusty body panels with a buzzbox.

Steve S
Agreed. I know a couple guys that are currently here that are from there originally. We're all the same, really. At least us industrial sorts.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
qwerty12
    Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

One thing I cant understand. Few of you mentioned that a mask must have replacable batery slot. Few of those have it...and most of the mask online has a bateri inside glass that cant be replaced. i thought thats an cheep option...

buth when you look at masks that cost several hundreds of dolars...they also have mostly their batery inside glas and its not posibble to replace it

so i am confused....how long those baterys can last ?

qwerty12,

I might be the only one awake and working on this side of the world at 2:15 a.m. Good Morning.

The batteries are solar so they charge from the ultra violet rays produced while you're welding. As far as how long they last I can't say because I have never had to change mine in the 4 years that I have had it. But I don't weld all day everyday like some of these guys do. But they apperantly last fairly long.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
qwerty12

O man its realy late at you.
Its 9:00 morning at my place. sun just trying to go out buth the damn rain clouds are coming. today car repair tactic will be weld and run :o

We...one thing that bothers me...all those solar helmet they say no batery change... buth that a little lye....no bateri can last forever...eaven if charged every day. Also some helmets in their descriptions say no bateri its solar...buth they all have a batery. ones inside others outside...

They probably should say no replaceable batteries. That might be closer to the truth. But if that's the worst lie that we ever get told we will be fine.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
noddybrian

I believe the general term used is " no user replaceable battery " - I figure the good bands likely source a better battery that lasts longer -but they will eventually give up - I'm not sure where the post is - but there was a guy with an Esab mask that was told by the supplier it had no battery - when it stopped working and he had nothing to lose he cut it open as I suggested - inside were 2 batteries - but as far as I know he has'nt replied if he managed to get it working - I figure everything modern is designed to have a certain lifespan after which it needs replacing so we buy another - look at the old school oil cooled transformer welders or the bullet types - many are from the 50's & still working just the same as when new - however good we think the new stuff is it will won't last like that - with the masks this is why I always advise finding an easy to change battery - such as the one I posted a link to - if you leave the mask out near a window so it sees the sun they usually work OK for 4 to 5 years - if you put the mask away in a locker for safe storage so it's in the dark alot they typically last not much more than a year - we sadly live in a throw away world where the manufacturer's assume we can & will just keep buying their product without caring about the service they provide.

@ querty.
If you've not heard from the Ebay seller in the next day or so let me know & I'll chase them up.
jwmacawful

i spent the entire day plus 4 hrs ot looking for the batteries on my trusty flip front fibre-metal. lol
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

jwmacawful wrote:i spent the entire day plus 4 hrs ot looking for the batteries on my trusty flip front fibre-metal. lol
Those fixed shade hoods are fine for experienced weldors in normal situations. However, trying to AC weld rusty sheet metal with 6013 has to be precise unless you want your work to look like a shotgun target.

The OP really needs an auto-dark for the work he is doing. There is no striking an arc and then moving it to the welding point when the piece can be seen by the arc's glow. Its too late by then.

I can't imagine trying to do it with a hand-held fixed shade "mask". But I'm spoiled with my Miller Elite although I did use a fixed shade helmet for many years.
noddybrian

@ GWD
Totally agree - I grew up with fixed shade & still use one if doing site work in bad weather - but once you use an auto dark it's hard to go back to a fixed - I think it improves most peoples welds in most situations - especially when new to welding - I mean for want of a cheap mask this guy nearly blinded himself - if you've never had " arc eye" it can be quite disturbing as well.
I think the old school guys that mock the auto dark must be very fixed in their mind set - I agree there are some situations - mainly welding outdoors that maybe their not suited to - but I cannot think of a time in a workshop setting they don't make sense - burning long runs of stick weld with good amount of amps you can use anything - but if your doing thin walled stainless tubing for example at maybe 30 amps you can't afford a stray arc on a job that's all polished finish - boat owners expect perfection.
qwerty12

First few tackle welds are most bad ass eyes burning asholes :shock:

When I must put peace of sheet metal on hole and there is no way to hold it with anny tools then I put mask aside. Rod in one hand, shet metal holding in other hand and than must place few tackle welds to position the metal. Oooooo that always bring pain in the ass.

Afther the sheet is positioned welding is easy life :ugeek:

Qwerty12, I'm sending you a private message...

Steve S
jwmacawful

qwerty12 wrote:First few tackle welds are most bad ass eyes burning asholes :shock:

When I must put peace of sheet metal on hole and there is no way to hold it with anny tools then I put mask aside. Rod in one hand, shet metal holding in other hand and than must place few tackle welds to position the metal. Oooooo that always bring pain in the ass.

Afther the sheet is positioned welding is easy life :ugeek:
hey qwerty! if you're still welding without a shield start training that cat as a guide animal cause you're gonna need one. all kidding aside wtf are you doing???

Tacking with the "squint and blink" method. Ouch.

Steve S