General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

It's been a while since I last posted, but I find myself in need of more advice. I know this isn't directly welding, but I'm sure everyone has run into this.

Attached are two examples of a bunch of parts I need to make for a projects I am working on. Most of the parts are either 1/8" or 3/16" plate steel. I don't know anyone with a Laser or Water Jet, or even a CNC Plasma table in the Dallas area, so I am exploring other avenues.

Here is what I have for possible tools to use: Drill Press, Plasma Cutter, Oxy/Ace Torch, horiz. Band Saw, Upright Band Saw, and then your normal set of tools like grinders sanders etc.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this with what I have? OR is there anyone on here in the Dallas area that has the CNC tools for cutting them? I have clean CAD drawings of all parts, and access to a pen plotter for printing.
Attachments
PL0160.jpg
PL0160.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
PL0156.jpg
PL0156.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Dallas is huge. A quick google search turns up several places.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
michialt

I know there are a lot of shops that do the work, but I would love to do the work myself if possible with the tools I have. If not possible, then I would love to find a hobbies, or a small shop to work with.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

you got more than enough equipment to do this yourself. i would cut out the basic shapes with the bandsaw and/or torch then stack the blanks one on top of the other, tack them and gang drill them.
HOTTRODZZ
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Drill the holes & get some nice bi metal blade for your band saw & start sawing..!

Those parts scream water jet - but if you take your time - awesome results can be had with the saw.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

to save material you could cut each shape (because their symmetrical) on the center line so you have a left and right hand drill/cut the parts then bevel both sides and weld.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Those decimal measurements remind me of the jobs we did for GE, almost impossible to measure with a ruler or tape,(for me anyway). The choice is entirely yours, spend hours and hours fidling around cutting and mucking about and possibly come out wrong, or send it of to a laser joint and crack a Coldie , And then spend the extra time and brain power on the rest of the project.

Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm with Mick. Those decimal point dimensions that are down to the ten thousandth of an inch don't look like they leave very much room for tolerance in either direction.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

The tools you have listed are fine if you have tolerances in the 1/16" or 1/32" range but these items are measured in "milli-tishes" and that will make it very challenging with everyday tools.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

On a side note,

REMEMBER TO DESIGN YOU PIECES FOR THE PROCESSES AT HAND. EG to make that piece on a laser cutter, easy peasy japanesey. But if some on came to me and said cut this out by hand, Id punch them in the face. Look at your design, obviously you need it to do the same job, but those locating tabs that cad drawings love are a colossal pain in the ass to make by hand. A square edge, and a scribed line will give you the same fit up.
michialt

Well I tried to make one of the smaller pieces tonight. Tried with the plasma cutter, too rough, and grinding not consistant.

Tried the band saw, and after 2.5 hours I managed to be about 1/2 the way through one piece.

So its off to finding someone local... If anyone on here reads this and has access to either waterjet or laser cutters and your able to handle some small jobs let me know. I'd rather shop the work to someone here over some total stranger.

weldin mike 27 wrote:On a side note,

REMEMBER TO DESIGN YOU PIECES FOR THE PROCESSES AT HAND. EG to make that piece on a laser cutter, easy peasy japanesey. But if some on came to me and said cut this out by hand, Id punch them in the face. Look at your design, obviously you need it to do the same job, but those locating tabs that cad drawings love are a colossal pain in the ass to make by hand. A square edge, and a scribed line will give you the same fit up.