General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

I'm prepared to go live in any State and am wondering how I can get my foot in the door into the world of pipe welding. I've heard UA welders are some of the best in the world but apparently it's hard to join their apprenticeships. I don't have much money so going to a proper school is not an option at the moment. What state is full of pipe welding jobs? Where should I go? How should I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

There are two major projects in the works to ship Alberta oil out of Canada.
Either USA or Asia will buy this oil, to help boost the Canadian economy.
Attachments
Northern Gateway Pipeline.jpg
Northern Gateway Pipeline.jpg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Keystone Pipeline.jpeg
Keystone Pipeline.jpeg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 587 times
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

There is quite a bit of pipe welding going on in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York with the Marcalus Shale natural gas feilds. Then there's always pipe welding going on in Texas and Oklahoma. A lot of these jobs are rig welders and some of them hire helpers and this might get you into the field. They're working long hours here in Pa. for sure and seem to be making bank.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I've been noticing a new trend with the Oil Companies. They are leasing out farm land on the outskirts of large cities, then building their power plant equipment in large modules that can be transported by railway or transport truck. These farm land construction areas are operating 24/7 with huge lighting setups to illuminate everything as if it were daytime.

The welders are showing up by the hundreds for their shifts on this equipment. This is a great cost savings compared to having to provide housing and logistic support to places like Fort McMurray way up in the northern part of Canada. The workers get to go home to their families each night and the oil companies don't have to pay anything extra other than shipping the large modules to their final destinations and connecting them all together. When I get a chance, maybe I can photograph one of these installations as it is quite a massive operation.