General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
arkie7671
    Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I wish steel suppliers would put there prices online. It would make pricing projects a whole lot easier! I don't think anyone in the DFW area does. What a pain.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The thing with steel pricing is that usually you need to have an account with the supplier & the price is affected by the average tonnage you buy per year & the daily trading price which fluctuates a fair bit - they don't like advertizing prices as it gives the competition a known price to beat when shopping around for a good deal - mostly here you have to be on first name terms with the places & negotiate between more than one supplier to get good prices - so if your just an individual trying to buy the occasional piece you would be better trying to get friendly with a local fab shop & have them order stuff for you - otherwise you may do better trying to buy " drops " even if you don't need them to build up a stock of your own when you can afford it - it maybe worth checking through all suppliers in your area - some may offer online services - the two local places I use have gone - there are still a couple that have fair prices but the distance they are away puts a hefty delivery fee on top - last stuff I ordered was from a firm I used years back but went downhill on price / service / stock / pretty much everything really - but they now offer a free delivery zone which I'm in as long as you spend over £50 ( which is not much metal here ) you can shop online much like using Amazon - you just add stuff to basket though this shows no pricing till you go to checkout - once at checkout it calculates price based on quantity - you can either then buy it or keep it as a quote though as steel pricing changes daily they only honor that quote for so many days - maybe there is a similar place near you ?