General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
winston weldall
    Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm

im talking about an interview with the human resources division of a welding company.

actually, the company does work in defense, aerospace, nuclear + , so they do more than welding.

im leaning towards wearing my shop type clothes i.e dickies and a polo + work boots albeit clean with no holes or stains or what not and ( no weld test has been mentioned ) bringing my hood and gloves and hand tools and leave them in the truck just in case.

thanks for any advice on what to wear plus any other pointers that you guys might have.

michael
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

If it were me I'd wear a suit then roll up your sleeves and start welding :D
winston weldall

that's a good one. :lol: :o
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

W/W,
I interviewed for a job as a mechanic in a truck shop with a shirt and tie. The guy in HR said that was a first and told me that the CEO of the company wears a polo to work. :D They hired me the next day and I worked for them for six years and quit when things were slow there, I was gone for three years when they called and asked me to come back to work for them. I've been back there now for more than 10 years and have been promoted over my peers 3 times. Never underestimate the power of first impressions. They still talk about my interview after 19 + years.

Wear your best shirt and tie and bring a pair of coveralls in case they ask you to do a weld test. You can always leave them in the truck if you don't need them.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I've seen others talk about this, and the most commonly accepted idea is exactly what you've mentioned: dress "nice" but not "up", clean and well kept.

If it's a big company then you might check out their website or Facebook page to see what they're proud of, and be able to talk about it if they ask a question like "What do you know about us?" Then the answer can be "I see that you just won a big contract with such-and-such government agency, and that you've gotten a ISO 9000 accreditation" or something like that.

Good luck with the interview!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

Now I'm wondering if the shirt / tie / coveralls idea would be a better impression on the HR department.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
winston weldall

i really appreciate the advice from everyone.

i think i will wear a nice shirt and tie and have work clothes/gear in the truck just in case.

hell i might even shave ;)

michael
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

There are many ways to look at this. Lens idea is a good one and there is nothing wrong with dressing up for a interview. I personally were good jeans and a polo for all meetings. It doesn't matter if it is a salesman or the CEO.
True stories, right wrong or indifferent; there was open interviews with weld tests held on the spot. A few showed up dressed for church. While impressed, they failed the weld test. Another showed up in a suit, yes a suit! He passed the test but was not hired.
I agree with Len on the first impressions being everything just don't over do it. Be ready for that weld test.
This represents my opinion only.
-Jonathan
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

The easiest way to know for sure is to ask the hr rep. They will let you know. Inquire about it while asking if there will be a weld test. It's a perfectly normal question to ask, especially given our line of work
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

A long time ago a shop near me was hiring for 2 positions, for carpenter and welder, and were interviewing only on a certain day. My buddy and I went dressed to work that day. We were hired on the spot and started that day. All of the other guys showed up in nice clothes, suits and such. They never got hired.

Would this work every time for every job interview? it's hard to say, but that place needed people right away, so us being ready to start as soon as we walked in the door certainly helped.

Good Luck!!

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

One time when i was a young cockydumbass, i showed up to a stainless tig interview wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, I did get an offer but it was too low, and i did not impress the hr lady one bit. From then on it is jeans steel toe boots and a fr shirt, one place i worked at the hr lady i over heard telling the weld test super, that they should pass on me because of my job hopper tendencies, my saving Grace was i could actually weld. Fast forward to now, i am realizing more and more how unemployable I am, so I am now finishing my rig and going independent.
Number8WireNZ
    Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 am

Hey look, I am not the be all end all of opinions here, but you can never re-create a first impression. I try to interview at least once a year just to keep my interviewing skills up. I've been in the workforce for 23 years now.

Rule 1: You can always dress down when asked to perform a competence test. Keep a pair of work clothes or coveralls in the car with your tools and Welding Hood.

Rule 2: If you are in an Armani Suit and your interviewers are in Dickies and a Collared Shirt. You are over dressed. It is just as bad as wearing flip flops, board shorts and a dirty T-shirt.

Rule 3: You are a Qualified Tradesman. ACT LIKE IT. You have a choice here. You can Dazzle with Brilliance, or Baffle with Bull$hit. The Job usually goes to the real deal who can back up what he's saying. It would not hurt to bring some photographs of your work. BE REAL AND BE GENUINE.

Back to Clothing. You are a Qualified Tradesman if you came in clean cut, showered, shaven, and wearing a Buttoned Collared Shirt, Good Pants i.e. Dockers or even Dickies but nice and clean with decent shoes. You will be heard. Bring a some pictures of your work and if they seem interested but not making the commitment, tell them that you have your work clothes and tools in the truck and you are prepared for a competency test.

You are now walking the talk.

Rule 4: During your competency test, Weld like you cannot afford to make a mistake.

Good Luck!
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Suit or shirt and nice pants.
Have the work gear in the car.
If they see u take pride in appearance, it only goes to say that more then likely u will take pride in your work.
I have a soldering iron!
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm a terrible person. I judge people based on appearance. Like the reason for school uniforms, I want a level of uniformity.
If you have a bad attitude, change it. For the interview, wear shoes, with tied laces, pull your pants up, wear a belt, your shirt, (yes you need one) should not have anything printed on it, no rips. If you have a bone through your nose, remove it for the interview. If you wear a hat, adjust it for your size, and put it on facing forward. Bathe. If you smoke, leave the cigarettes in your car. An employer notices, and has numerous reasons to prefer non smokers, not the least of which is productivity. A person who needs a break every 10 minutes all day long, or is concentrating on a craving is wasting time. Your employer is paying for that time.
Without saying it in words, convey the sense that you won't be a high maintenance employee. Your employer wants a team player, not a narcissist.
Be as good as you say you are at the job you're paid to do.
hillbilly welder
    Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

My personal opinion is to wear a nice shirt and jeans don't overkill just be ready if they want you to take a weld test that day. This being said because of several interviews I've been on the employer wanted a weld test done the same day.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Might it be a demonstration of good preparedness to ask if you should come prepared for a welding demonstration or a job interview? If expected to demonstrate skills, I would be impressed to see a hire candidate walk through the door with a neat kit containing welding gear.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

It really depends on the company and job. You could call the company, ask the receptionist what the dress code is for the office. Dress conservatively towards that, equal or slightly deviating, but over dressing is not necessary. You don't want to go buy clothes you may never wear again.

Many companies, looking for full-time employees will screen applicants in HR, then send to department interview, maybe give a plant tour and either call back or if they are interested, may send you to the local clinic for a drug test... Having proper work clothes in the car is never a problem, it's just being prepared.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:Might it be a demonstration of good preparedness to ask if you should come prepared for a welding demonstration or a job interview? If expected to demonstrate skills, I would be impressed to see a hire candidate walk through the door with a neat kit containing welding gear.

That's why I said to ask the hr rep. I always have, just make sure you are dressed exactly like they say. One time I asked and was told to come like I was ready to work, I happened to be on thurs at the time and went straight to the interview. I wore khaki dickies and a plaid shirt, took my helmet, gloves, side shields, ear plugs, and face shield. Ended up with the job.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm kinda agreeing with Len. I'd dress like I was serious about the position. Wearing my best clothes an just trying to show that I really am trying to make a big effort to make that ever so important first impression. An when the interviewer says how are you today? I'll reply something like....Just short of unbelievable...Or something funny u might have to say. I think attitude is everything...try to always stay upbeat, happy, and willing to do what it takes. I've even said that I'll DO what it takes...just gimme a chance an I'll prove it! I wore a brand new shirt and tie with slacks and expensive shoes. I was told there'd be no welding till they could look over all the applicants an make a choice (there were 5 in the lobby). When we finished they told me that they'd offer me the job if I could go pass the welding test. To my excitement and then dismay I'd be welding. Tig of course not problems, mig didn't notice any spatter, and then the stick test and I was almost done I then felt sparks burning my pants. Definitely not fire retardant. Really buddy GOOD LUCK on the job! You can do it. Walk in there with the confidence you need to prove to em that's your job!
winston weldall

well i had the interview today and they asked me to come back for a weld test!

i wore a nice shirt a tie, nice shoes .. the whole bit.

there was another guy in front of me that had jeans and cowboy boots.

mike
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Mike,
Glad to hear that they asked you back for a test, now show your stuff, good luck.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

winston weldall wrote:well i had the interview today and they asked me to come back for a weld test!

mike
Good!

Now that the "baffle them with BS" is done, it's time to dazzle with brilliance!

Best of luck, and best of skill!

Steve S
Artie F. Emm

Good on ya, Mike! I was hoping we'd hear good news back from you. Good luck on the test!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

winston weldall wrote:well i had the interview today and they asked me to come back for a weld test!

mike
Mike,

Do let us know how you get on. You obviously put in some hard yards and thorough preparation to work out how to approach the interview. First Impressions and all that can really work in your favor.

And good luck with the test!

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Awesome Nicely done. Seriously congratulations. Hopefully everything goes great and it's everything you might hope it'd be.