General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Dick218
    Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 am

I hope I'm not waking a big bad monster, but I would like some input from people who know. Which of the China welders is the best. I've looked at Everlast and found they have a pretty poor track record with there products prior to there IGBT boards. I'd love a new miller but man 5K WOW! I need a good ac machine. any help would be apreciated.
Thanks!
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

You should look at Lincoln's Precision TIG 225. Very good machine for its class at around $2000. # year warranty also. Also comes with built in TIG pulser.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
Disweld
    Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Believe me I would love to have gotten a dynasty 350 combo but just like you said for home use thats alot of money. I did alot of research and I ended up buying the Everlast 250 EX combo and I am really happy with the machine. No doubt about it the machine can lay down excellent tig welds on alum, Steel and SS. It has a real wide range of adjustments which really work well. The thing that I dont like is all the cheap hose barb coneections instead of the threaded CGA fittings and the bulky foot pedal and the lift arc (its actually a scratch start) doesnt work without the press of the pedal or the trigger on the supplied torch (Which is kinda bulky) which kinda defeats the purpose of the scratch start.... But other than that its a great welding machine.
tigamajig
    Wed May 26, 2010 8:23 pm

buy American ! here's a good inverter ,i use mine to tig stainless...the gas bottle /deposit on a 125 cu ft.bottle cost as much as the welder !...(...thermal dynamics is in St.Louis ,MO...)
(http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/s ... Categories )
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

I have had a good experience with my Everlast MOSFET machine (a "super200P"). I have a feeling the "poor track record" you mention may not actually be a true representation of the product, and may just be relating to random internet posts, which are likely not truly representative of the machine. It is a fact that at least as far as the earlier MOSFET machines were concerned, that everlast and longevity had their machines made in the same factory, I believe.

If I could do it over again, I'd try and get variable AC frequency, if I could swing it at all in my budget (this is a feature on their newer IGBT machines...) as I love doing aluminum and focusing the arc is helpful. I'd so glad I got the pulsing feature as well, as I've tried it lately and find it is really useful, so I'd recommend that feature to be on the list as well. Definitely get the foot pedal, but consider skipping on the Everlast/longevity argon regulator if it saves you money - they just suck too badly (and read in funny units.) I had problems with two of them leaking out expensive argon gas. You can get a good one from HTP or comparable model on ebay, all brass, reading out in proper CFM units, reliable, and with proper CGA-580 connection, elsewhere for about $40 shipped.

I find myself not using the sequencer/torch switch very much, but, it may come in handy on some projects.

I'd get as much power as I could swing, as I find myself using the full 200 amps my machine offers, and it might be desirable to have up to about 250 amps if I could swing it. It is nice to be able to run off a smaller (I am running fine off just a 30 amp breaker!) power supply circuit, though.

I'd skip the combined plasma cutter feature, and just get a separate box for that, because I find switching from TIG to plasma and back is quite inconvenient and I don't really like having the quick disconnects in the argon line (potential source of argon leaks or contamination.) A water cooled 9 series torch would be a nice upgrade.

I believe the earlier longevity and everlast MOSFET machines were made in the same factory, although the newer machines seem to no longer have identical features, so apparently they have become different now. I can vouch however that everlast takes care of their customers very well, if you experience a problem, they are very responsive to helping customers that call them.

Now granted, if the prospect of tinkering under the cover of the machine scares you, the low cost Chinese welders may not be for you. I prefer fixing the machine myself if I can, instead of returning it, it allows me more quality control, and I can usually learn something new about the machine or electronics in the process. If you plan on the machine needing a little TLC when it arrives, you will not be disappointed. For example, I would plan on taking the cover off, and visually inspecting things at least. Make sure all connectors are fully seated, nothing is flopping around loose, everything looks good, etc. Maybe double check the high frequency gap while you are at it. I performed just a little preventative maintenance on mine up front, and have not had it break down yet. I had some (easily fixed) issues with broken hose clamps on the argon hose connections, for example. I'm on my fifth argon bottle now, and I find it TIGs nicely and reliably! Plasma cutting works too, it's just a bit of a pain to switch.
Burf86
    Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 am

shadowwu
    Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 am

There is a new welder, named Multiplaz3500, it could do welding and cutting togeather,only by water, it is very green,save, and cost-effective. I believe it is a very good tool for home user or ourdoor. I have seen this products in Canton Fair, which is produced by a Russia Company.
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I have an Everlast PowerPro 205 which I've had for a couple of weeks. So far it works as advertised. I've tried tigging on steel and aluminum as well as plasma cutting. I was concerned about reliability over the long term but I have heard from at least two people who have had similar units longer than I have and who are happy with them.
Joe
mrprism
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 pm

tigamajig wrote:buy American ! here's a good inverter ,i use mine to tig stainless...the gas bottle /deposit on a 125 cu ft.bottle cost as much as the welder !...(...thermal dynamics is in St.Louis ,MO...)
I went to the link you supplied to look at these low cost American made welders and low and behold what did I find?? They made it sound like they're made here...."Not rebuilt, not reconditioned, brand new, shipped direct from Indiana Oxygen Company." However in small print I also found... "Made in China for Thermal Arc, inc. Excellent quality." The site has an American flag waving in the upper left corner of the screen, and the wording certainly made it sound like some good ol' boys were making these things but it ain't so. I don't mind something made elsewhere as long as the quality is good, but what I can't stand is someone passing off something as "made in the USA" when it isn't. Even though they do say its actually made in China, you would not get that impression if you just quickly skimmed the ad. (which it looks like you did) I'm sorry to inform you but, you too have a Chinese welder. :shock:
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

tell ya what i found. i recently bought a lincoln power-mig 180 and much to my surprise guess what i found on the back of the machine when i went to plug it in-"assembled in Mexico"-thats right, LINCOLN
jameswswanson
    Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm

tigamajig wrote:buy American ! here's a good inverter ,i use mine to tig stainless...the gas bottle /deposit on a 125 cu ft.bottle cost as much as the welder !...(...thermal dynamics is in St.Louis ,MO...)
That link sent me to a 95 amp tig machine, which isn't even a comparison, and it has almost no features. It is cheap though!
jameswswanson
    Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm

This Welder looks like the same specs and case as the Everlast brand. Most likely share the same guts too....