General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
starbuck
    Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 am

I have trouble seeing where I'm welding whether it is stick tig or mig. I use an auto dark helmet so I can see where I start but from there on I'm only guessing where I weld . What is wrong here?
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Maybe need a magnifier.
Also could have it set too dark, or even too light.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I would imagine you can change the settings on your helmet my friend, but just a guess. Most typically go from 9-13, with 9 being the lightest and 13 being the darkest.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Do you see multiple images of your weld, like a reflection slightly offset from the main weld? Some helmets suffer from this if there is a gap between the shade and the protective lens.

Also, are all the lens elements in the helmet all clean? Scratched lenses or surface dust can play hell with the clarity of vision once you light-up.

Check / clean / replace scratched or dirty protective lenses, and try a lower shade setting and see if that helps at all.

(And Welcome to this great forum!)

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Starbuck,
Sometimes a backlight as in welding outdoors can play hell with seeing once the arc starts. You can always drape a rag or towel over your helmet to block this and see if that helps.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

TRACKRANGER wrote:Some helmets suffer from this if there is a gap between the shade and the protective lens.
Trev
Makes sense. My ad is like that.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Here is my solution to seeing what I'm doing just before the arc starts :) Cleaning or replacing the front plastic cover helps alot as well. Then just dial the helmet's brightness in until you can see what you need to see after the arc starts.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

GreinTime wrote:I would imagine you can change the settings on your helmet my friend, but just a guess. Most typically go from 9-13, with 9 being the lightest and 13 being the darkest.
AD Helmet
Some are confused when it is auto darkening thinking shade will adjust to ampreage/brightness of weld to suit the job at hand automatically.
Many are not aware when starting out the need to manually adjust the shade of lens to suit the weld/welder.
The auto lens darkens to the max shade setting when arc started.
Many new to auto darkening make this mistake.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I guess I never really thought about how the name might misconstrue someone as to how it actually operates Rick.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I find my biggest distraction is anything on the lens, even a few specs of dust. With the welding light, I have to fight a bit to keep my visual focus on the puddle, rather than the speck on the lens. Surprisingly, this is less of a problem when there's a LOT of crap on the lens, as I can look through it. With fresh cover lenses with a clear view, one or two bright specks of crap on them are hard to ignore, and I have to force myself to focus on the puddle.

I guess it's like having one bug-splat on an otherwise clean windshield...

Anyone else?

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I find my biggest distraction is anything on the lens, even a few specs of dust. With the welding light, I have to fight a bit to keep my visual focus on the puddle, rather than the speck on the lens. Surprisingly, this is less of a problem when there's a LOT of crap on the lens, as I can look through it. With fresh cover lenses with a clear view, one or two bright specks of crap on them are hard to ignore, and I have to force myself to focus on the puddle.

I guess it's like having one bug-splat on an otherwise clean windshield...

Anyone else?

Steve S
I can second that, although sometimes I don't mess with it because the scratches from cleaning are more distracting. I have found myself changing lens' more frequently here lately.
-Jonathan
Tassie Dave
    Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 am

I personally have a couple of helmets. I did have a non A/D helmet but that was a pain in the rear end especially doing stick work. :? . I then purchased an A/D helmet and have been using one ever since. My helmet goes from 9 to 13 and i run mine on 12 all the time. I have only just started doing tig work as well as my usual stick work and mig but have found my setting on 12 is ok. I clean the front cover a fair bit and find that makes a huge difference. I wear glasses for reading etc and was curious about the cheater lenses for the helmets. I have seen them but don't know anyone who uses them. Any one got any useful info for an older guy. :)
I have an
Esab LHQ 150
Pro Weld TC256 ACDC multi process Tig Cut MMA
WeldSmart Mig 200IGBT Mig Tig MMA and spool gun

zachkuby87
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:37 am

daniel buck that flashlight idea is awesome i need to do that. i swear it irritates me cause its dark in our welding booths at school. we have one light per booth and them one overhanging adjustable light built into the our extraction system. but 95% of the lights are broken.