General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
winston weldall
    Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm

thanks for all the kind words! ;)
mongo
    Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:04 pm

I'll add two cents, a little late. I have worked in an aerospace and research environment as a senior science and engineering type. Sometimes I hired people. Most were PhDs but there were lots of lab techs, and a few welders, pipe-fitters and trades people.

While I never expect a suit for a trades person, I agree that a shirt with tie, and khaki pants with nice shoes are a good normal baseline. Add a sport jacket and it's a plus.

For techs, who work in the lab or in the field, many who I hired interviewed in suits. Generally conservative dress is a plus. A few show up in trendy clothes and my thoughts have been that they at least made the effort.

Generally, most interviewees show up dressed better than I am, and I expect that.

What I look for next is how well they listen, and whether they answer questions directly. Communication and the ability to follow instructions are a big deal. Attention to detail everywhere I have worked in a big deal.

Whether a PhD or a mechanical tech or an electrician, ultimately it has been their communication, their practical ability to think on their feet and exercise common sense, their work ethic, and their attention to detail which has contributed the most to their success, not just their ability to perform a task, such as welding or machining or aligning an optics bench. If they have the previously mentioned attributes, they will stay on the job well enough to master some of the finer skills.
winston weldall

well. they offered me a job today! :D

mike
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

winston weldall wrote:well. they offered me a job today! :D

mike
Mike,
Well....did you take it???
-Jonathan
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Mike,
Great news, though I'm sure it was all you and nothing we said. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
winston weldall

i'm going to call in the morning.

i was notified via email today. i was working so i didn't have a good chance to respond, but yeah i'm going to take their offer.

mike
winston weldall

a couple weeks ago when i was there waiting for the shop foreman to come get me for the test i happened to let out a big yawn as he was walking up he said "you aint supposed to be yawning before a weld test" haha

mike
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

winston weldall wrote:im talking about an interview with the human resources division of a welding company.

actually, the company does work in defense, aerospace, nuclear + , so they do more than welding.

im leaning towards wearing my shop type clothes i.e dickies and a polo + work boots albeit clean with no holes or stains or what not and ( no weld test has been mentioned ) bringing my hood and gloves and hand tools and leave them in the truck just in case.

thanks for any advice on what to wear plus any other pointers that you guys might have.

michael
My personal preference is to always wear Levi's. You can wear Levi pants, and the thick Levi denim shirts. You look good, and you can do a welding test in them. They are cotton-versus whatever they make suits out of. If you have to take a weld test, they will protect you for the short term. Better to perform, than to to tell your prospective employer, "I need to change clothes"!
Negativ3
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:25 am

My $0.02

I wouldn't get in my car in my work gear... I have but don't tell the wife :o

I wouldn't turn up to an interview in my "pickup" (more rust than steel).

Changing for a test after an interview is cool in a setting where it is normal to go to the changing room before going out on the dance floor.

If it's a job site where the interview will be done, still dress nice but have a bag with coveralls you can wear over.
Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is my personal signature dish.
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am

Wear smart clothes but bring your PPE with you just in case.