General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I have an idea for a project made out of copper, and I probably can't tig it together as I imagine none of it is de-oxidized. The project involves : 16 oz. copper roofing sheet (.0216 thick)
1/4 inch bendable copper tube (refrigeration tube)
12 gauge copper wire (stripped Romex hard wire)

Can all of these be soldered together successfully? What flux would be best?, what kind of heat and solder?

Thanks!!
Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
I've soldered all of these at one time or another but never to each other, so yes they can be soldered. I'm sure that regular plumbing solder and flux would be fine, most now clean up with water. The amount of area that they come in contact with each other is as important as the solder since it's the capillary action that gives it strength.

As to the heat, I would use a Mapp gas Bernz-o-matic.

Len
Last edited by Braehill on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
delraydella

Awesome!

Thanks Len!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

Steve,
Sorry, I edited that and added the heat sorce while you were posting.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
delraydella

I see it, thanks again!!

Mapp gas needs a different torch than propane, doesn't it? I don't use Mapp very much.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I used silver-bearing solder in places and regular rosin core electronics solder everywhere else and plumbers solder paste for flux. Most soldering was done with a large gun but some parts needed the extra muscle of a small propane torch. I cleaned the whole thing in an ultrasonic parts cleaner to remove the flux. Copper is a neat medium for art projects. Be sure to share pics.
Cheers.
-Eldon
001.JPG
001.JPG (89.13 KiB) Viewed 828 times
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

Steve,
You can use Mapp gas with a regular propane torch, just burns hotter, that's all. Now that I think about it, you could use regular propane as none of these parts seem all that thick. I use the bottles made for camping, much cheaper than the tall skinny ones, and propane's propane no matter how it's bottled.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm still learning all the time so I was wondering if anyone can explain why you wouldn't be able to tig this?
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I have never done it but I imagine you could TIG braze it with silicon bronze.
Multimatic 255
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

dsmabe wrote:I'm still learning all the time so I was wondering if anyone can explain why you wouldn't be able to tig this?
Copper need to be of de-oxidized quality to be tig'ed. You could probably tig others too but its not clean or porous free.

Of the materials listed in first post I would expect them to be de-oxidized.
In Europe roofing copper is de-oxidized, you might not in the states.
Pipes I would have hard to think not being de-oxidized due to quality requirements.