General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
GaveUpOnTV
    Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi,
I'm a very beginning welder, who just got a Everlast TIG 210EXT (partially on Jody's reviews-Thanks!). I haven't started it yet (waiting on a argon bottle) but I would think that the clear pyrex cups would be helpful in seeing the weld puddle. They aren't entirely cheap (at least compared to the regular cups) but they seem affordable (as long as they don't have a short lifespan) Has anybody had experience with them, and how helpful are they?
I was looking at a kit on ebay that fit on a water cooled 20 series torch (which is what I think that I have) It was like $108 for the complete kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Saver-Pro-A ... 564367cb98
The tigdepot.net (is that 'Mr. Tig'?) has them for less than $75 and 'only' roughly $30 for the replacement cup.
It would be nice if Jody sold these, I'd buy one.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I use the stubby gas lense kit and the regular pink ceramic cups,much cheaper.
Then with the gas flow right can use tungsten stickout to see puddle.
Tried PYREX, too fragile, too $$$, for my clumsey needs.
Starting out consumables can get expensive during the learning curve.
Welcome to forum.
Lots of help available,will get you by discouragement stage, Just ask.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
whm_fab
    Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 am

pyrex cups are great, and they are fantastic for seeing the puddle - BUT, i wouldnt recommend those, despite the name, the waste gas, and basically dont work as well as threy should.

What i would recommend is the set by micheal furick who works in Goodfabs in USA, he designed and made the cup kits himself through thorough testing, and the really do work for visibility, saving gas, and great coverage. Plus, hes absolutely fantastic to deal with. visit www.dogfab.com for his stuff!

I've been poking around Instagram a bit and furick cups are being shown a lot with very positive feedback. Lots cheaper than others too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just for the sake of continuity, Jody replied to whm_fab's post "before" it had been approved and published to the forum, in case anyone reading in the meantime was confused...

Steve S

Sorry STEVE, I jumped the gun didn't I?
Thx for keeping me straight

Jody

My two cents on the original post...

Pyrex cups are expensive to learn and make mistakes on. I'd put them on the "in six months" list, and do my practice with the much cheaper alumina cups. This saves you money, and when you get the pyrex cups you already know what you're doing, so they are a luxury, not a crutch.

I'm sure there are other opinions, so wait a bit and read further before deciding.

"Your mileage may vary" 8-)

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I was actually looking at those cups the other day and still have it pulled up on my phone. Seems like a great product to me.

As for my opinion on Pyrex cups, they are fine for any application expect extreme amperage and walking the cup. I have had a full set for quite some time and honestly don't use them very often. To me they are more of a "look what cool tool I have" than a necessity. For someone who is just beginning their TIG path I recommend sticking with the regular cups. My opinion.
-Jonathan

admin wrote:Sorry STEVE, I jumped the gun didn't I?

Jody

No harm, no foul... After I posted, I realized these posts were all within minutes of each other, and I suspect I'm the only one who noticed.

BTW, had a kid show up for a weld test Wednesday. Put on his Tigfinger and layed it down!

He's a hire. Apparently, his school gave him the finger (sounds funny like that). I'm going to probe him for details Monday. See if he subscribes, knows where the Tigfingers come from, etc.

I think he's still taking classes, so if the school isn't telling the kids where these come from, I'll make a point of spreading the word.

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I don't particularly care for them for hand welding. Use them on some automatics in tough to see places
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
admin wrote:Sorry STEVE, I jumped the gun didn't I?

Jody

No harm, no foul... After I posted, I realized these posts were all within minutes of each other, and I suspect I'm the only one who noticed.

BTW, had a kid show up for a weld test Wednesday. Put on his Tigfinger and layed it down!

He's a hire. Apparently, his school gave him the finger (sounds funny like that). I'm going to probe him for details Monday. See if he subscribes, knows where the Tigfingers come from, etc.

I think he's still taking classes, so if the school isn't telling the kids where these come from, I'll make a point of spreading the word.

Steve S
And you didn't post the job opening here!!!!! Well then :lol: I was doing all this practicing for nothing :lol:
-Jonathan

Hell, they don't tell me when they're hiring. The only notice I get is when I'm asked to cut coupons....

I'd love to get someone from here into the shop (Slidell, LA), but the starting wage isn't great. It's a job with a broad learning curve. I took it on two wheels because of my background.

Steve S
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Also been looking at those.
Seen one on instagram where a guy used a beer bottle neck. Lol

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Well here is my 2 cents on the matter and let me start by saying I'm a TIG parts collector, If I think it would be useful I build a kit around it. Any way for starting out I would stay away from the pyrex at first. My suggestion for starting out would be to go with a Gas Lens set up. The gas lens allow you to stick tungsten out a long way so easier to see puddle. They offer good gas coverage plus you can even turn down the flow rates over the standard collet bodies if you wanna save on gas. I suggest getting wedge collets will last you a lifetime and buying alumina cups in a size 7 and 8. The cups are pretty cheap buy a box of ten and your set for a long time. This set up will allow you to pretty much weld anything you come across in reality. I build my own kits instead of ordering what someone else put together. I can normally get more bang for the buck that way and I don't get stuff I don't need. A lot of kits throw in backcaps and tungsten I buy boxes of tungsten and don't really want a couple of loose pieces laying around. usaweld.com is great place to get all supplies you need and ship fast too.
This is really what you need
This will weld 90% of everything
This will weld 90% of everything
need.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
Now I did get the pyrex set but my purpose was for better gas coverage on specialty jobs. even then I didn't buy a kit but built my own. reason being is my kit fits the 9 style plus the 17,26 style. The actual gas lens screen on left and cups on right is used on both torches. The insulators and actual collet body ( big brass piece) is what is different between torches. so if you shop right you can get the whole setup for both torches cheaper then some kits for one style torch. I added large Alumina cups to my kit because the pyrex is easy to break and if I can't see around the alumina cup I could use the the pyrex then. The large style lens offer great gas coverage but I find there name gas savers to be a misnomer. In reality I have to turn up flow a lot higher than a standard gas lens do to the large area that this blankets in argon.

I cant Really say the clear lens offers a better view of the puddle you can get such a far stick out with these that I have yet to find my self looking threw the cup. I was missing around on some 5/8 4130 tubing doing T joints when I got them and was able to use the alumina cup and never had a problem seeing puddle so cant really say the pyrex is to useful.
example.jpg
example.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
this was made by ordering a .40 kit for a 9,20 style with an 1/8 kit for 17,26 that gave me insultors, cups, collet bodies for for both torches. Then just order lens screens and other wedge collets I needed for other sizes plus the alumina cups. This was bought for titanium projects which I will begin working on this spring where the regular gas lens will not provide coverage needed.

Before buying kits start adding up individual parts and I bet you can build some great kits cheaper then what most places offer. this is one of my 9,20 style kits and my large diameter pyrex kits for 9,20,17,26
1030142125.jpg
1030142125.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
1030142120.jpg
1030142120.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 11794 times
If you need assistance with part numbers I can help you if you need it. Overall I cant honestly say get yourself pyrex. I believe they have a limited speciality use and are a pain in butt to clean. Your gonna be dipping tungsten a lot starting and glass will fog up quick. I would save your money get 2 boxes of tungsten sharpen everyone and when you dip put a new one in. Heck of a lot better than constantly sharpening same tungsten over and over. when all 20 have been dipped time to stop welding and sharpen tungstens for awile. :cry:
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.

admin wrote:I've been poking around Instagram a bit and furick cups are being shown a lot with very positive feedback. Lots cheaper than others too

The guy that makes them is Michael Furick.
But I can't find any info on them.

Edit: Haha found it. dogfab.com
whm_fab
    Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 am

79jasper wrote:
admin wrote:I've been poking around Instagram a bit and furick cups are being shown a lot with very positive feedback. Lots cheaper than others too

The guy that makes them is Michael Furick.
But I can't find any info on them.

Edit: Haha found it. dogfab.com
i posted his website on the first page of the thread, www.dogfab.com ;)

I don't know how I missed that.
His are Pyrex also. But you can get the BBW cup with the protector on it. Looks nice.

Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I have a couple Pyrex cups and Love em. I use em for all kinds of jobs, but a lot of people have negative opinions on them. I really like mine, and I've walked the cup quite a bit and used the heck out of em. Now what I did learn was they will break if they are really hot an say you smack something with the torch when reaching to flip your hood! Other than that I use regular cups/pyrex and I prefer the pyrex myself. The only time I switch is if I feel I'm in a spot it's gonna be hard not to smack it on something. Otherwise I'd buy one an develop your own opinion, just try and stay cautious that it's glass.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

I have seen the furick cups before, heard good things. I just ordered a couple see if I like them more than other pyrex's I've used before