General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi, everyone.
I wear a 3m 7000 series respirator with either the 2297 or 2097 filters and was wanting to know if anyone on here has a preference for or knows of a better one for SMAW or TIG? I mainly weld carbon steel and stainless steel pipe. Also, I've been researching respirators all day and the info out there is confusing. So, if any of you have any insight or suggestions please share.

Also, just a tip. On Thursday I was stick welding and was wearing my respirator and would occasionally get a smell of the weld fumes, which is unusual. So, after inspecting the respirator and performing a "negative pressure fit test" I couldn't find anything wrong and continued welding. But still I would get the occasional smell. On Friday morning my chest hurt pretty badly and it was difficult to take deep breaths. So, I decided to inspect and clean my respirator but still couldn't find anything; I had no facial hair, the filters were new and I performed the fit test. Everything was good.

Well, I decided to take a closer look at it and realized with this particular type that the whole thing comes apart for cleaning and to replace parts. What I found was that its exhaust valve had some scale around it which would occasionally unseat the valve, allowing me to breath in those fumes. Had I known about the "positive pressure fit test" this incident may not have happened. And because of the scale build up I just ordered a new one.

So, if you use a respirator learn the proper fit tests, keep the instruction guide (I didn't keep mine), inspect it before each use (only takes a minute) and keep a new one with filters handy.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Did you search for an actual selection chart? We had one supplied by 3m, that listed alot of possible jobs and the best, and next most suitable filter for the job.

Mick

Mike,
I did some research on 3m"s website, which can be confusing because there are several filters they recommend for welding. With the info I found the 2097 and 2297 are the best they offer for welding (at least here in the US) as they have charcoal in them, which absorbs low levels of ozone. The main difference between these two filters is that the 2297 is a newer type with three layers rather than 5 (like the 2097 has) and still offers the same amount of protection.

Also, my new 3m respirator arrived today and so I tried it out and it works great. But I will only keep it for about 2 months max before ordering a new one because I don't want it failing on me like the last one did.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember the type of filter you used and the application it was used for?

Let me check, and ill get back to you. I know they were pink then changed to a light blue/ grey. All sorts of welding, probably too much for them. Lol

Mick

That 3m website is confusing as anything eh? Seems the best thing to do would be to buy the disposable ones the specifically say " for welding" there is 2, one is hiher rated, for coated metals, id say would be a better choice.

Mick
Owr
  • Owr
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 am

If your welding stainless I would definitely recommend you to get yourself a welding helmet with air respirator. It is worth every cent and when you weld all day and in the hot weather you get to appreciate it`s cooling effect. Plus you don`t have to worry about facial hair. The mask itself acts as a face shield as well so you get more protection from blown cutting and grinding discs and debris.

A lot of people complain about the price of the units but if you can afford to buy beer you can also buy a respirator in one year :D . Only thing I would be careful about is how the grinding with the mask is solved. My helmet has a grind mode which prevents the shading to turn on but in some cases it is just to dark. Perhaps a solution as this is the best way to go: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 207&rt=rud
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I use a Comfo Classic with p100 cartridges.

Well, at least thats what they issue at work for stainless stick welding.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.

For now I wear a 3m 7500 series respirator with the 2297 filter. 3m's website says the filter has charcoal and will absorb low amounts of ozone.

Last week I starting using this respirator because my old one became defective. Unfortunately, I bought a size large and believe it may be too big so in the morning I will be dishing out a few more bucks for another. Oh well, you can't put a price on health, right?

And, Owr, I'm happy that you replied with input on a PAPR welding helmet system, as I was checking those out this morning. When I get the money up I will definitely be buying one of those. The only complaints I read about them are the helmet weight and price (including replacement parts, filters, lenses, etc.). I especially like the Speedglass 9100FX model because when you grind the weld lens just flips up a and you have a nice big viewing area.

I have a 9100fx air, and its very well balanced, much more so than the 9002 predicessor. It kind of floats on your head, not locked on via a tight head band.

Mick

Mike,
I'm assuming that you have the air power respirator with your helmet, right? If so, what are your thoughts about it (like weight, quality, ease of getting into tight places,)?

Hey,

it ticks all the good boxes, except the face seal is rather hard to change. I get into some pretty tight spots but all flat welding. I don't think the " floating" head band would cut it for overhead laying on your back doing a pipe.

As for neck strain, I had a 9002x adflo speed glass for about 6 years, then developed a sore neck. Swapped over to to a 9100fx and the neck healed up. Would have never believed it if you told me but it did.

The only thing that sucks it you have to wear the hood to adjust the settings. Cant comment price wise, as mine was supplied (and filters as well)

Mick
Seriously_Tho
    Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Stumbled on this old thread while trying to answer the same question about which 3M filter, here's what I found in another place -

"Hello. Thank you for contacting 3M regarding personal protective equipment. The recommended filter for welding on hexavalent chromium or zinc is the 2097 or 2297.

Both filters will provide the same protection against particles, however the 2297 has less breathing resistance and will last longer against the same particulate loading."