General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Do compressors get louder over time? Got my little 29 gallon harbor freight compressor last year. I swear it was super quite and now it just seems to be really loud. I tucked it in the corner between a wooden frame and the wall to free up some space for now.
Where does the majority of the noise come from? The compressor or the motor?
Wondering if I put some rubber bushings/washers between either one of those and the frame where it bolts to if this will help make it quieter. May have to cut some of the cage as it moves everything upward a bit but that's minimal.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I find all compressors get more annoying after a while, even if the noise level does not actually increase.
....oil less compressors are the worst...

Best place for a compressor is in the basement - that way when you're in the shop it won't bother you.
When you're in the house, it won't bother you because it won't be running.

...the little woman might not agree with me...but I think it's a perfectly good solution :D

Edit: I forgot, someone told me once that it's the intake that is loudest and can be muffled somehow.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
gamble

I've heard that about the intake too, just not sure on how this one removes. doesn't look like it unscrews and even less sure on what to replace it with
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Gamble,
The compressor here at work is 9500 HP, loud can't even describe it. :)

The intake on a small compressor actually breaks the sound barrier every cycle that's why its louder. You can usually add a filter likes on a small engine to alieviate some of the noise.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

they do make intake mufflers for air compressors, I installed one on the 20 hp compressor in my shop, you can barely hear it run in the service bays. when you are in the basement you can have a conversation over it and not yell, I think the huge 7 9/16'' diameter low pressure piston adds to the quiet factor. im sure true 2 stage compressors like mine are much quieter that single stage 2 cylinder compressors
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

Braehill wrote:Gamble,
The compressor here at work is 9500 HP, loud can't even describe it. :)

The intake on a small compressor actually breaks the sound barrier every cycle that's why its louder. You can usually add a filter likes on a small engine to alieviate some of the noise.

Len

holy cow, I could not imagine what a 9500 hp compressor
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Check the bearings. This is a common wear point.
You can use plastigauge to check the proper clearances.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

@brokeagain,
Your right that multi-stage compressors are much quieter than a single stage ones, each stage has to pull in less volume with every stoke to acheive the same end result.

The largest compressor that I've seen first hand was a natural gas compressor that pumped gas back into the ground for storage (dicing plant) and there were 2 of them, 21,000 HP if I remember right. I thought there was an earth quake when they started and got a good laugh out of the guy loading my trailer with drip gas. These compressors have their own sound proof buildings, but that doesn't keep them from shaking the whole area around them.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ours at work are screw compressors. There are noisy, but not a normal compressor noise but more like a constant roaring whir. (They don't shut off)
gamble

WerkSpace wrote:Check the bearings. This is a common wear point.
Where are the bearing? I am not much of a small motor type guy
gamble

Hoping to tackle this tonight or this weekend
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Most air compressors use a crankshaft, piston and connecting rod.
On either end of the connecting rod, you will find a bushing or bearing.
Check to see that the bushings or bearings are not worn out. i.e. excessive play.
PS: You will most likely have to take the compressor apart to do this.
gamble wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:Check the bearings. This is a common wear point.
Where are the bearing? I am not much of a small motor type guy
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

We keep our compressor in a different building about 30 feet away so we don't hear ours. Unfortunately we trade quiet for moisture.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt