General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I had some very good conversations today about the welding terms we use on daily basis that are not correct. I have been accused of reading to many books and wanting everyone to follow the correct procedures and terms so this is a passionate topic to me I guess. First let me say that I have and probably will continue to use these terms even though we know some of them are not correct.

The first one is one I have heard used here and I have used it as well incorrectly. Downhand. Most think it is vertical down welding like on pipe. That is not correct. Downhand as defined by AWS is "a nonstandard term for flat welding position". Flat welding position is defined as " The welding position used to weld from the upper side of the joint at a point where the weld axis is approximately horizontal, and the weld face lies in an approximately horizontal plane". Talking to a few CWI's today to confirm what it is we came up with this simple explanation, "welding horizontal usually dragging" not downhill welding. Look online and you will see the masses using this term incorrectly.

Another is "ground" used to discribe the copper thing we clamp on our piece to be welded. Technically this is incorrect. It should be "work lead". What about "MIG" and "TIG"? Metal Inert Gas cannot be correct due to the active gasses we use in welding. Same with Tungsten Inert Gas (not correct). And what about Heliarc? Technically that is a trade name and NOT a process. Here is a good one, "splatter" instead of "spatter" the metal particals expelled during fusion welding that do not form a part of the weld.

So, what other terms do you use that are not technically correct? I think there are many. We could probably learn a lot from this discussion.
-Jonathan

Edit; TIG uses usually argon and/or helium as a shielding gas and they are in fact inert. I am sorry I originally said it had active gasses. :oops:
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Flat and horizontal fillet welds. Drives me nuts to here people call horizontal fillets flat. I had a partner for 17 years who taught the juniors and I taught the seniors. He didn't know the difference, buy he didn't know a lot of things. We had just gotten a new tig machine and he told me it was broken because the tungsten kept melting.........
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Sometimes in Aus, people call a horizontal fillet a H/V Fillet. Not sure why.... we call a flat fillet a natural v. And the work return lead is the earth. Haha. I guess we are kind of the same. (Ps, heard a new one yesterday.. MOG. from Germany, means Metal Ohne Gas. For self shielded flux Cor. Ohne is "without" in German.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

So when you say its Miller time, friday afternoon, does that mean you'll be welding all night or ... ;)

What active gas would you use for TIG? (Not for purge)

Flux core MIG is something I hear from time to time.

The "people" here like gas assisted flux core ha ha.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Using correct terminology eliminates a lot of confusion when everyone is on the same page.
I'm sure that will continue to use the wrong terms at times just out of sheer ignorance...LOL
The field of welding encompasses so much that I doubt any one person can possible know it all in one life-time.
Fact:
The more that I learn about welding, the more that I understand that I don't know much at all in reality(it's very humbling).
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

AndersK wrote:What active gas would you use for TIG? (Not for purge)
I don't know why I said that. I know full well argon and helium are inert gasses. Sorry for that. :oops: :oops:
-Jonathan
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Not meant as criticism, thought you had a gas I dont know about. Im a noob you know ;)

is it Miller time yet? Its about time for that here
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:

What about "MIG" and "TIG"? Metal Inert Gas cannot be correct due to the active gasses we use in welding. Same with Tungsten Inert Gas (not correct). And what about Heliarc? Technically that is a trade name and NOT a process. Here is a good one, "splatter" instead of "spatter" the metal particals expelled during fusion welding that do not form a part of the weld.

Edit; TIG uses usually argon and/or helium as a shielding gas and they are in fact inert. I am sorry I originally said it had active gasses. :oops:
Here in Denmark, we distinguish between MIG (metal inert gas) and MAG (metal active gas). MAG (135), with solid wire, is the most common process around here.

One that I am guilty of using wrong is "weldor" instead of "welder". Welder is defined as "one who performs a manual or semiautomatic welding operation". Metals and How to Weld Them uses "weldor" to discribe the actual person and I guess I adopted it. We use "welder" when we are referring to the machine when technically we should say "welding machine" defined as "equipment used to perform the welding operation". So technically when we say "I had my welder fixed today" we are technically really saying "I had my person who performs my semiautomatic welding operation fixed today".
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

In British English, a weldor is the operator and a welder (in slang) is the machine. In American English, welder is interchangable for the two.

When I was in primary school, I was reading many things published both in America and the UK. I often got grief for spelling... "colour" is a good example. I was usually given a pass once I explained the source (and cited the friggin' OED!).

I often say MIG when I mean MAG.

Oh, and RedIron881 has done "TAG" welding, using 98/2 Ar/H2 to weld heavy sections of stainless to helium-tight standard.

Steve S

Steve,
I was actually studying up on hydrogen welding in tig today. I will probably never have a use for it but it is in fact active. I came home with a stack of papers and my wife just shook her head. :lol: ;)

And why haven't we heard from RedIron881 in a while??
-Jonathan

The stats say RedIron hasn't visited since April 4.

Sadly, they can't say why...

And, my wife is quite accustomed to me bringing home a stack of crap that interests me...

Steve S

Jody mentions RedIron881 by his real name in a post from August, thanking him for contributing to a video.

That's the last I see of him, and he didn't show a visit here at that time, or since.

Damn shame. Maybe I'll use "privilege" and e-mail him?

I'll think about that tomorrow when I'm not "mostly" through a twelve-pack...

Steve S
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

My boss differentiates between steel and Alum. by asking if it's "Metal or Aluminum" > I've been letting him know that they are both in the same family; I shit you not. :?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

It was established many years ago to call the metal Aluminium to differentiate it from the element Aluminum, but us Americans have apparentlly said screw that and still call it Aluminum. We've taken the "It was developed in my back yard so I can call it what I want" attitude. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

As in pure vs alloyed aluminium?

In Australia, people call aluminium things, "alloy". As in alloy wheels, alloy fuel tank and alloy bull (moose) bar. Its tiring explaining it.

Mick,
It hard to pick up in print, but almost all other countries pronounce it Ala-mini-um and we say Aluma-num like the element that they remove from bauxite to produce the metal.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

However you prefer to pronounce things the spell check on the forum is in " American " not " English " ! ( no offense ! ) so it's easier to use your way of spelling things - it properly confused me to start with as some English words it does'nt like ! but we all know what is meant - even with the occasional typo / dyslexic attack or beer related slip !

I thank heavens for spell check or I would look like a total idiot when it comes to spelling, I can't spell for sheizen.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I never considered that that was why there was a deference in the spelling. I just thought it was like colour and color.

noddybrian wrote:However you prefer to pronounce things the spell check on the forum is in " American " not " English " ! ( no offense ! ) so it's easier to use your way of spelling things - it properly confused me to start with as some English words it does'nt like ! but we all know what is meant - even with the occasional typo / dyslexic attack or beer related slip !

Did you hear of the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia?

He'd lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a doG... :roll:

Steve S
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

It's a fight amongst the ranks :D

Someone asks you what you do say "TIG welder" blank stare.

Say TAG or whatever else have you. blank stare.

Say "I'm a welder" and they think fence posts or pipelines, still, although not blank, an odd stare (although this response is the most likely to start a conversation)
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

You guys shouldn't ever take up woodworking the incorrect terminology gets even worse! :roll: