General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steve,
And 252's are a pain to set pre/post flow compared to other machines. I always forget to hold the trigger down to access the menu and have to shut it down and restart again.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Steve,
And 252's are a pain to set pre/post flow compared to other machines. I always forget to hold the trigger down to access the menu and have to shut it down and restart again.
-Jonathan
Yeah, I would't have chosen the 252 but it's the only MIG in the shop set up for spool-gun and python for aluminum.

I "think" ours has a lithium battery in the memory core, so that once the post-flow is set I don't have to go back to it and reset it each time I power up.

Ironicly, it's unlikely we'll ever use it for an "R" stamp repair, as our primary client specs TIG.

Steve S

I also had the odd random thought (fancy that?) while cooling a nitrogen trailer today...

Would any of my co-workers who begins to whine about his job be a "cryobaby"?

(I know. Shut up and work...)

Steve S
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:The only porosity issue I had was of my own making...

The ceramic tape sat in a corner without climate control for three years unused, and caused no porosity that I could detect,

"But"... I failed to set the friggin' Millermatic 252 for post-flow (doh!), so every tail-off had to be ground. I'm too used to MIG being simple, and forgot I had a post-flow option on the machine I chose to have calibrated. :roll:

Steve S
LOL...We never let the backing sit for that long....too many punching screw-ups. We primarily used the 2x2 squares for pluggin' mis-located holes. Dang beamline punch would get off and start punching holes in the beam flanges about a half a hole off so we'd have to plug em'.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

Well, the first guy to show for my "demonstration" piece tells my how great my welds look. Gave me several compliments, which I'll take. Then, I find out the GMAW portion "will" be x-rayed...

Makes me glad I treated it as though it would be the whole time.

Oddly, the GTAW nozzle will only be dye-pen tested...

I'll get some pics of the section up shortly.

Steve S

Here's the jist of it...

The back side...
GEDC1593.JPG
GEDC1593.JPG (185.16 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Sh!t, I didn't copy a front-side from my camera...

Here's the nozzle with the color still on.
GEDC1592.JPG
GEDC1592.JPG (171.62 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Steve S

Not bad.....for a rookie. 8-) ;)
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Not bad.....for a rookie. 8-) ;)
-Jonathan
Thanks!

I'm not too proud to hear tips.

Steve S
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Not bad.....for a rookie. 8-) ;)
-Jonathan
LOL...Ditto ;)
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

Here's the front-side picture I missed.
GEDC1596.JPG
GEDC1596.JPG (182.39 KiB) Viewed 902 times
The whole shebang got boxed up and shipped for NDE today.

And the guy I was sure was going to take some of teh load off me busted his ASME IX test... Either he has horrible "test anxiety", or he blew it on purpose... :roll:

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Looks very good....

I'm ways nervous till I put the hood down, then its like I'm in my own little world. What was hard for me was waiting between passes for it to cool down...before I moved on.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Well, we had our NBIC/ASME audit today. The whole crew was there, including the state Fire Marshall.

It all went well. Everyone was suitably impressed with the demonstration piece, including the x-rays I was told would not happen.

We're about to be our own independent "R" stamp vessel repair shop.

That's a load off my mind... No one ever said the word, "coupon" when I welded that thing up, or I'd have treated it differently.

Steve S

Steve,
Congrats! What a relief that is indeed. So now I have a few more questions. How are they paying for and justifying the costs of the R stamp, which are high? Are they taking on repairs to fit that market or was it to cover exsisting code work? Sorry if you have answered this already.
-Jonathan

Jonathan,

We do have a real market for these repairs. We are already the exclusive rehab shop for one of the top companies in the western hemisphere. And there's a bit more to the story, for a PM.

Steve
Rick_H

Congrats Steve... Looks great.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:[I'm not too proud to hear tips.
Looks like the only tip you need is "don't stand up in a canoe", and you probably knew that one already. :)
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Artie F. Emm wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:[I'm not too proud to hear tips.
Looks like the only tip you need is "don't stand up in a canoe", and you probably knew that one already. :)
Thanks, I do know that tip :lol:
I'm never above inviting critisism, though. There's always something to learn.

Yesterday was a reality check. I did a weld (304) where the side I could see was 5/16 and the side I couldn't (no headroom) was sch. 5, and I blew a hole in it... and dragged the hole into a slot 1.5" long, because I couldn't see it.

I tried to fix it yesterday in the mirror, and was so damn frustrated I had to walk away before I started throwing tools. My buddy saw the challenge, and volunteered to "give it a go", and did no better.

I spent 6 hours today (with a better attitude) finally fixing it and proving it.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug...

Steve S
Rick_H

Welding will humble even the best of us at any time...
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB