General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm down with the process, we use it. The magnetic medium comes in cans, the techies spray in on whilst powering on the magnet. Its got a fluid that dries leaving the black particles on a spray painted white background.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1419942891940.png
uploadfromtaptalk1419942891940.png (205.28 KiB) Viewed 684 times
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:I'm down with the process, we use it. The magnetic medium comes in cans, the techies spray in on whilst powering on the magnet. Its got a fluid that dries leaving the black particles on a spray painted white background.
I have never seen or used that...sounds neat. Is it permanent? Like maybe it dries in place? The dry powder method needs a clear spray to hold the powder in place if needed. I've also used hairspray. As soon as you fire up the carbon arc, it blows the powder away...LOL
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

jwright650 wrote:
weldin mike 27 wrote:I'm down with the process, we use it. The magnetic medium comes in cans, the techies spray in on whilst powering on the magnet. Its got a fluid that dries leaving the black particles on a spray painted white background.
I have never seen or used that...sounds neat. Is it permanent? Like maybe it dries in place? The dry powder method needs a clear spray to hold the powder in place if needed. I've also used hairspray. As soon as you fire up the carbon arc, it blows the powder away...LOL
Really? Thar's all we use here. The only time we use the dry powder is when we have to perform MT in hot surfaces.
The particles are not permanent but the white contrast paint is.

This is how we roll in AUS. And a wax pencil to mark out where any defects are. That is plenty permanent to repair anything.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1419945784200.png
uploadfromtaptalk1419945784200.png (293.54 KiB) Viewed 674 times
jwright650

taz wrote:
jwright650 wrote:
Really? Thar's all we use here. The only time we use the dry powder is when we have to perform MT in hot surfaces.
The particles are not permanent but the white contrast paint is.
I like the use of the white for contrast...I have used PT(dye penetrant) developer as a contrasting background before.
John Wright

That white is actually paint. Not powder developer like dye pen.
jwright650

weldin mike 27 wrote:That white is actually paint. Not powder developer like dye pen.
Ahhhh. :ugeek:
John Wright