General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I had a homebrewer bring me a keg to cut the top out of for using as a boiler. The keg has a 1/2" coupler welded to it and there is a small amount of sugaring on the inside of the keg..not bad but he is concerned about it, more for contamination than rusting. If I burr it out down to good metal, will it be alright? He is boiling malt in it so I told him it would probably be ok. Any info would help...thanks...jeff]
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

exnailpounder wrote:I had a homebrewer bring me a keg to cut the top out of for using as a boiler. The keg has a 1/2" coupler welded to it and there is a small amount of sugaring on the inside of the keg..not bad but he is concerned about it, more for contamination than rusting. If I burr it out down to good metal, will it be alright? He is boiling malt in it so I told him it would probably be ok. Any info would help...thanks...jeff]

Read this thread, cover to cover.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?43 ... highlight=
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
exnailpounder

Actually the welds on the fittings are very nice. The keg has a 3" fitting instead of the normal 2" and from what I can see from looking with a flashlight the sugaring is only in a few spots. It looks like it was back purged but it somehow got contaminated. All I am doing is cutting out the top so he can put a clear lid on it so maybe I will relay that link to him and see if he wants to continue.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If you can get the Tig at it, wash a run around it. May not remove previous contamination, but will stop [RAISED HAND] anymore.
exnailpounder

weldin mike 27 wrote:If you can get the Tig at it, wash a run around it. May not remove previous contamination, but will stop [RAISED HAND] anymore.
I emailed him last night about this issue. I haven't cut the top out yet but when/if I do, I think I could get the torch in there to clean it up. I was thinking maybe silicon bronze so I don't have to purge the outside of the keg. Like I said, the welds are real nice and the sugaring is only in small spots so it might not be too big of a problem to correct.

The washing will be quick so less chance of burning through the other side. Remember sugaring only happens when molten ss is exposed to air. Hot or even red hot will only get discoloured.
exnailpounder

weldin mike 27 wrote:The washing will be quick so less chance of burning through the other side. Remember sugaring only happens when molten ss is exposed to air. Hot or even red hot will only get discoloured.
The fire is out. I borrowed my buddies video inspection cam and took a good look before I cut the top out of the keg. What I saw was just discoloration. Opened it up and it was fine. The metal was sagging in a few small spots and that is what I and the kegs owner was mistaking for sugaring. The guy is happy and is the president of a homebrewers club so hopefully I get some more keg work out of it. Glad I bought that extra argon bottle.

Happy times.
exnailpounder

Yeah its always nice when things turn out good....cause we all know when they go bad...they can go really bad. 8-)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder,

Glad it wasn't "sugar".

Just a comment on your original question. Brewing is considered "food grade", so don't ever allow sugar. It's an automatic fail in anything food grade, period. It's a porous space where micro-organisms can get a foot hold.

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:exnailpounder,

Glad it wasn't "sugar".

Just a comment on your original question. Brewing is considered "food grade", so don't ever allow sugar. It's an automatic fail in anything food grade, period. It's a porous space where micro-organisms can get a foot hold.

Steve S
I hear ya. I didn't weld the fitting that was on the keg but whoever did it did a good job on it. I got a smoking deal on a 125cf argon tank...full for 100 bucks...just to use for back purging. I am somewhat the "ahem" homebrewer so I have a little background knowledge on kegs. I mistook the discoloration for sugaring because I have to wear cheaters to see up close and looking into the keg was hard for me to see. I have every intention of doing firstclass work on any food grade item that comes my way. I have always refused to say "thats good enough" on any work I do and this type of work is no different. Its amazing the amount of knowledge that is on this site and how many great guys are willing to step right up with an answer to any question. I read on this site for hours and it has really helped me. My TIG has improved so much that I light up with total confidence now and Jodys videos and the forums have been a huge factor in that. I love this place!
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:The guy is happy and is the president of a homebrewers club so hopefully I get some more keg work out of it.
Or a few samples of the finished product, so that you can farther investigate the project. 8-)