General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I had the opportunity to visit the Juniors and Seniors at Penta Career Center in Toledo, Ohio this past Friday. I have been talking with John Sliwinski (WTFH here) the Welding Instructor there for the past few months about welding in general and he mentioned how the students like to have visitors and was invited to come up and weld with them and tell them a little about what I do. I will say now, I think it was more of a benefit to me than them. I learned so much in the little time I was there with them.

The day started with the Juniors who were mostly welding SMAW, 7018 1F welds. What impressed me was the willingness to learn from all the students. All of them wanted to improve their skills and were willing to listen to advise from someone they had never met. John had them weaving a single pass instead of a stringer and then a weave like I would have done. At first I thought this odd but as I listened to his reasoning and saw the results it all clicked. The next step the students would be doint is a 3F and/or 3G where they will need the weaving technique. So in doing a single weave showed them the results of inproper rod angle, not holding the sides long enough and long-arcing, specifically related to undercut on the top leg. It seemed most of the students had the undercut problem but what was impressive was the improvement by the end of the class. They all were able to self diagnose their problems be it long arc or to much amperage. The most difficult task for me was keeping up with the 20 some students and remembering what the last weld looked like so I could tell if there was improvement. One Junior was newer to GTAW and brought in a aluminum shovel to repair. I watched him weld up the small crack like he had years of experience under his belt. No advise needed from me for sure. One student was working on GMAW-S in the 3F position and was quite good. He was welding a little cold for my taste and I suggested he raise his volts to 19.5 and wire around 220-250 on the other side of the fillet and cut and etch them to see his results. I believe a cut and etch is a great learning tool for all of us and believe he was quite impressed with the results. The lower amperage had shallow penetration and the higher had acceptible side pen but LAF in the root. When I asked him why that was he answered like he had done this for years.

After a excellent lunch prepaired by the culinary class consisting of sea food it was on to the Seniors. Again, the Senior class was just as eager to learn. They were welding GTAW, GMAW and SMAW and that alone kept me on my toes. They began with a few doing SMAW while I worked with a couple students with GMAW-P with a Lincoln C300 and Miller Pipeworx, neither of which I have ran before. We started with the Lincoln running .035 and 75/25 gas. After getting it dialed in a little I explained how it will run better with 90/10 so we switched out bottles and they noticed the improvement in the arc right away. I also showed them a little on 3G pulse basics on the Miller. I didn't care for the Miller as of now anyway. It was harder to dial in, which I never got right, but I am sure with more time it would be a great machine. Impressive to me was the fact that the two students I was working with directly were able to weave up the plate rather well. I believe with a little more helmet time they will have no problems passing this test. I also spent a few mins with the two Skills USA regional champions who were quite impressive with their skills. I wish them the best of luck as the move on!

I can go on and ramble but one of the things that I took away from this experience is how much work a Welding Instructor actually puts in during a day. It is one thing to answer questions here on the forum either from a question in text form or a few pics asking how improve. We can take our time thinking about our response and respond when we are ready. With 20 kids showing you their welds wanting help it really puts you on your toes. Now add a mix of welding process and not being able to see everyone of them actually lay the bead down and it becomes a challenge, which I liked actually.

I hope to be able to have this opportunity again in the future. I want to thank John and all the Penta Career Center staff for allowing me to look over the welders shoulders. The future is bright with these students!!
-Jonathan
http://www.pentacareercenter.org

Here are some random pics of some of the Seniors.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.68 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

Some of their welds. Quite impressive given their arc hours.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.57 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

GTAW
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.16 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.78 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.28 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Certainly some impressive results there. Great to see such enthusiasm too!
Thanks for sharing the story.
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice pics Jon.

I can tell that school is the real deal, just look at all them Lincolns. ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Nice pics Jon.

Ha Ha.
Yes, it's obviously the 'real-deal' - that's for sure!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
hillbilly welder
    Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

It's the Welder that make the difference not the machine. In time when your old enough you will understand this Tony

hillbilly welder wrote:

It's the Welder that make the difference not the machine. In time when your old enough you will understand this Tony

Ok,
Genius..... :lol:

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

hillbilly welder wrote:

If the machine's not up to the job? If the welder's not up to the job?
It's neither one or the other. It's both.
Last edited by TRACKRANGER on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRACKRANGER wrote:
hillbilly welder wrote:

If the machine's not up to the job? If the welder's not up to the job?
It's neither one or the other. It's both.
(BTW: Who's Tony?)

He forgot the period.

He's Tony.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I think what Tony is saying, is that a quality welding machine does NOT make a difference when your welding.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan,

I envy you that day. It must have been a real adventure. I do a tiny bit of that with our new hires, but it's always one-on-one. I can't imagine 20 of them... but at least they were eager to learn. The last time I was in a high-school "shop" class (long story involving getting involved with my step-son's education), there was raging disinterest, though I admit the dynamic of my presence twice a week lent to a competitive spirit.

Damn... I hadn't really thought that through until just now. I may have to try that again, when I can make the time.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ive had the rough idea about visiting my old high school, to talk about trade options, but I think now, it would be a good idea to organise a group for a lunch time meet, so the disinterested ones are lessened.
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

What Jonathan didn’t say was that he drove three hours one way to get there!
Thanks again for coming the students really enjoyed it, they love hearing stories from individuals from industry. And yes keeping up with 20 students is a challenge to say the least and Jonathan wasn't answering the phone, reading email, monitoring the kids fabricating or nursing the “ready to die” CNC on the cutting table to cut just one more plate before it’s death.

Just to clarify the students running horizontal 7018 are really not weaving but using a slight side to side oscillation in the puddle. The purpose of this as Jonathan said is to teach the students to control width and increase the likelihood of undercut from a long arc and having unequal legs. Let’s face it running a horizontal fillet is not that difficult. Having them increase the leg size with oscillation forces them to learn how to deal with undercut and unequal legs, skills that will help them as the tasks become more difficult and when they move into different processes as well. Everything I have them do has a specific purpose beyond having to weld in the easiest position first.
Here is an example of a student who can make a nice weld but I have challenged him to make it bigger just so he learns how to do it should that situation arise someday. The results of the larger weld were not as nice but I failed to take a picture.

Thanks again Jonathan!
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Very cool....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB