General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Chris_PTA
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Hey everyone. I've searched your forums high and low and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm looking to buy a heavy duty electrode sharpener / grinder, but the snag is that is has to be capable of sharpen electrodes between 5/32" and 5/16" (4mm and 7.95mm) thick. Every grinder i've found thus far has an upper limit of 5/32" / 4mm. That's the smallest size I need to grind.

I do realize there's several cheaper ways to grind these, but absolute precision is key. I know they exist because we currently farm out the work to a couple local shops, but we need to reduce our costs, so I've been told we need to do it in-house now. The ones I've found so far are $900. Yeah it's lots of money, but not compared to how much we pay to farm out the work, so money isn't an issue here... I just need to find one that's capable of meeting my needs.

Does anyone have any idea of a brand or company that makes a sharpener that'll do thick electrodes?

Thanks!
Chris
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

These guys say that larger sizes than 4.0mm are available upon request

http://www.tungsten-grinding.com/Client ... lus(1).pdf
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

taz
not sure if this is what you are looking for but
here is what i came across
http://www.airgascatalogs.com/guide/Rad ... cts/80.php
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

McMaster-Carr sells a diamond wheel that will fit a 6" bench grinder for under $150
http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-grindi ... ls/=w983si

Couple that with a bench grinder from some place like Harbor Freight and you'll have a solid sharpener
and still have plenty of your hard earned money in your pockets!
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-ben ... 39797.html

The price of those dedicated tungsten sharpeners is insane.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Chris,
I want to know what in the world you are welding using a 5/16" tungsten!!!
-Jonathan
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Chris,
-Jonathan
The tungsten in my plasma welder is around 6-7mm. It would be cool if Chris had a plasma welder too :)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

-Jonathan
X2. Seems like it would be some type of automated or robotic app.
Chris_PTA
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:04 pm

soutthpaw wrote:
-Jonathan
Yep! I work in (most likely) the world's largest Plasma Transfer Arc (PTA) welding facility up in Canada. We have a dozen 6-axis robotic welders that primarly weld an overlay onto wear parts for the oilsands. The material we apply is comprised of a tunsgten/nickel powder. We go through about 100tons of it a year, and it's not cheap stuff! If anyone is curious or has any other questions about what we do, I'll try to answer as best I can. I'm just the materials guy, so my knowledge of the exact process is somewhat limited compared to my technial manager.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far everyone. I've reached out to the couple of vendors suggested and we'll see what they have.
Mick
  • Mick

Chris_PTA wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:
-Jonathan
Yep! I work in (most likely) the world's largest Plasma Transfer Arc (PTA) welding facility up in Canada. We have a dozen 6-axis robotic welders that primarly weld an overlay onto wear parts for the oilsands. The material we apply is comprised of a tunsgten/nickel powder. We go through about 100tons of it a year, and it's not cheap stuff! If anyone is curious or has any other questions about what we do, I'll try to answer as best I can. I'm just the materials guy, so my knowledge of the exact process is somewhat limited compared to my technial manager.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far everyone. I've reached out to the couple of vendors suggested and we'll see what they have.
Finally!
I've been looking for someone who knew something about plasma welding.
I've got a Migatronic plasma commander 240 DC, with a thermal arc machine torch. Can you hit me up with some "dos" and "don'ts " with this process, and some pointers to welding parameters?

I only use the common stick, tig and mig/mag processes at work, so I thought it would be cool to set this machine up at home, with a welding lathe/turn table (when I'm done with my house some day :roll: )
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Mick wrote:
Chris_PTA wrote:
soutthpaw wrote: X2. Seems like it would be some type of automated or robotic app.

Finally!
I've been looking for someone who knew something about plasma welding.
I've got a Migatronic plasma commander 240 DC, with a thermal arc machine torch. Can you hit me up with some "dos" and "don'ts " with this process, and some pointers to welding parameters?

I only use the common stick, tig and mig/mag processes at work, so I thought it would be cool to set this machine up at home, with a welding lathe/turn table (when I'm done with my house some day :roll: )

They make Hand Torches for plasma, but seems to be most commonly used as automated though. Looked at a machine when I visited member Empirewelding, it's a Thermal Arc I think. But he has never hooked it up. Requires a separate welding power supply.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

What do the company that supply the electrodes suggest?
Mick
  • Mick

soutthpaw wrote:.They make Hand Torches for plasma, but seems to be most commonly used as automated though. Looked at a machine when I visited member Empirewelding, it's a Thermal Arc I think. But he has never hooked it up. Requires a separate welding power supply.
I think the best quality is obtained by using the plasma as an automated solution. As far as I can tell, it's nearly impossible to controll the key-hole if it's not automated. My machine does both tig and plasma welding, so if I have to, I can hook up my old tig torch :)