General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

Keep seeing jobs postings with this just wanting to know. There are some that say you need to fit to do you need to be a full fledged pipe fitter or do you just need to know how?

Thanks stephen
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

StevenPerkins,
That's a easy one. I am a class A welder, Sam (Greintime) is a class B welder and John (AKweldshop) is a class C welder ;) Haven't you heard of the "A" team? :lol:

I have not idea, but I can Google it. ;)
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have no idea if this is applicable, but in Australia, a first class welder is somebody who has done an apprenticeship therefore "qualified " in the trade (regardless of skill) and a second class welder is somebody who welds full time, but hasn't ever done a formal apprenticeship (they typically get paid less, and some places won't hire them) as I said, maybe not applicable.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

StephenPerkins wrote:Keep seeing jobs postings with this just wanting to know. There are some that say you need to fit to do you need to be a full fledged pipe fitter or do you just need to know how?

Thanks stephen
These are common shipyard terms, and may apply to some military contracting.

They equate roughly to apprentice (C), journeyman(B), and master(A).

They are simply levels of qualification, for the welds you will be allowed to perform on the job.

Steve S