General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jake Matthew
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I've seen a bunch of different models, but I was curious if you can run a 230/460 single or three phase model, off of 208? The machine comes on, but I didnt try welding with it. I noticed they have models for 208, so I'm guessing no.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If your machine is rated for 230 3-phase, it should run fine on 208.

If it's a basic transformer machine as I suspect (I didn't look it up), expect to set somewhat higher amperages than if the machine were on true 230. If it's digitally controlled, expect normal response.

Have you metered the line? To see your actual open-circuit voltage?

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:If your machine is rated for 230 3-phase, it should run fine on 208.

If it's a basic transformer machine as I suspect (I didn't look it up), expect to set somewhat higher amperages than if the machine were on true 230. If it's digitally controlled, expect normal response.

Steve S
Steve, an xmt 304 is an 80 something lb 400amp dc inverter.

Op, do yourself a favor and call miller tech support.
You'll thank me later.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

An inverter, in particular, (Despite AK's paranoia) will function without flaw on 208 if rated for 230.

I agree, check with Miller, as there's no harm in having the company behind you should an issue arise.

Steve S

You should also know, when AK puts that "those who think they know everything..." bit in his signature line, that he's 16 years old. Maybe 17. I don't know his birthday.

Very skilled and talented, yes! Broadly experienced? Not yet.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Otto Nobedder wrote: You should also know, when AK puts that "those who think they know everything..." bit in his signature line, that he's 16 years old. Maybe 17. I don't know his birthday.

Very skilled and talented, yes! Broadly experienced? Not yet.
But the good thing is, it takes a lot to upset him
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
angus
  • angus

i have owned three 304's, modification to run off of single or three phase power was a very simple procedure.

however, i can't speak to every 304 ever made so i deleted my post.

as to thanking junior, why? teenager experts give me a headache, why be thankful for that..
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Steve,
You know me good enough to know that I'm joking in my sig line. Just smile. :)

Teenage expert?

I was stating facts in my post above.

I used to own a xmt 304.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jake Matthew

I own a CST 280 that is also labeled 230/460. I've ran it off of 208 a few times. I was just curious if it prematurely destroys the machine. I'm sure it will weld on 208, I just dont want to burn it up as this will be in the shop and always hooked up to 208 3 phase
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I don't know anything about an XMT 304, or a lot of other things so I'm safe from John's signature line.

Can't you run an outlet off of the incoming 3 phase and only use two legs and a ground and get 460 single phase for the welder? I've hooked up a Miller Syncrowave 700 that way and a Lincoln Precision Tig 375 as temporary hook ups for contractors welding in the plant.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Jake Matthew

Braehill wrote:I don't know anything about an XMT 304, or a lot of other things so I'm safe from John's signature line.

Can't you run an outlet off of the incoming 3 phase and only use two legs and a ground and get 460 single phase for the welder? I've hooked up a Miller Syncrowave 700 that way and a Lincoln Precision Tig 375 as temporary hook ups for contractors welding in the plant.

Len
The voltage is all set by the transformer. This particular shop has a 120/208 transformer. If you only use 2 legs, you still get 208 volts across them, but it's in a single phase. Use all 3 legs, and you still get 208 volts, but in 3 phase. Use 1 leg and you get 120 volts.

They also have a 277/480 transformer, but I'm unsure how sensitive these machines are.
Jake Matthew

Otto Nobedder wrote:If your machine is rated for 230 3-phase, it should run fine on 208.

Steve S
Yes, the line voltage measures 208
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Jake,
I would think that you could use two legs off of the 480 and you'd be fine, that's what I did with the two that I mentioned. I did it with the ok from the electric guru at the plant and he said it would be fine. I believe that both of these welders were transformer based, the Miller for sure, but not sure about the Lincoln. The Miller welded for 5 days at over 500 amps and was fine and the Lincoln welded about 16 hours wired that way.

I still agree that it's best to check with Miller first though.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
angus
  • angus

gee, I now find myself in the same camp as the young Alaskan. go to miller's site, go to products, click multi process,

click xmt 304. READ WHAT IT SAYS.

quit wasting peoples time and receiving well intentioned yet totally unnecessary info.

if all of that requires too much effort, then pick up the phone and bother a member of miller's tech support.
Jake Matthew

angus wrote:gee, I now find myself in the same camp as the young Alaskan. go to miller's site, go to products, click multi process,

click xmt 304. READ WHAT IT SAYS.

quit wasting peoples time and receiving well intentioned yet totally unnecessary info.

if all of that requires too much effort, then pick up the phone and bother a member of miller's tech support.
Tech support isn't open till Monday. This is what this website is for, asking questions and learning. I'm not wasting anyone's time. You obviously have issues if something like this bothered you that much. You wasted your own time by commenting on something that you could care less about.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

In Australia, rewiring plugs/machines is strictly the dominion of the electrician. End of story. If they need to call tech support, good.

BTW, I'm not putting up with bitching and carrying on on this forum. People work too hard to have this turned into an atypical web forum.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

mike agreed, leave the attitudes at the door.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
angus
  • angus

In Australia, rewiring plugs/machines is strictly the dominion of the electrician.

I am going to give the aussies the benefit of the doubt and surmise that this statement is in reference to your situation as an employee of a large company. if that is the case you probably have maintenance electricians on staff whose job it
would be to connect machines to power. well and good.

here, outside of mfg's that have electricians on the payroll, that is not the case . swapping jumpers, changing plugs is done all the time. no electrician is needed and seeing as it is still a free country, somewhat, you can undertake this yourself. you do have to have the ability to think and read and know when to go to a proper source of information,

I have bought a number of machines over the years with no plug attached, it is a common occurrence.

flowers and grapes come in bunches.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Clearly a major difference between our two countries. In Australia, all of that stuff is supposed to be done by a qualified and or licensed sparky. (though clearly it's not) but if you try it, and stuff it up, dire consequences be on your head, lol.

And there is very few grapes on the bunch around here.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Its now also illegal in Oz to sell an appliance without an approved plug fitted. It's also illegal for unlicensed people to do electrical work. Under our "Fair Trading Act" traders cannot refuse to sell to the unlicenced. If your house burns down from an electrical problem, insurance companies have great forensic investigators ..... So you can do anything you want but you will accept responsibility for your actions.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Its now also illegal in Oz to sell an appliance without an approved plug fitted. It's also illegal for unlicensed people to do electrical work. Under our "Fair Trading Act" traders cannot refuse to sell to the unlicenced. If your house burns down from an electrical problem, insurance companies have great forensic investigators ..... So you can do anything you want but you will accept responsibility for your actions.
That sounds like the trade guilds have an awful lot of lobbying power in government, to take the homeowner out of the equation in matters electrical.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Here in Queensland electrical matters are administered by the Department of Justice, not the normal building/ohs depts.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'