General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Some have an air gap, but not more than a 1/2" or so. Not everyone on the market Is like that with a flip up. I'll dig up some pics

Image Ordinary very basic shield with flip up and fixed shade glass lens (interchangable) Image pipeliner style not flip up lense fixed shade but can be bought as an auto darkening (from fiber metal) Image miller fixed shade non flip up lens but can be fitted with an a/d lens at a later date. Image speedglas very good quality high end (expensive, but worth it) non flip up a/d lens. Image Miller titanium auto darkening flip up, for fitting and grinding, Americans love them but I think they are cheaper crappyness. Image in my mind, this is the big boy. Speedglas 9100 fx air. Flip up a/d lens and with air feed for ventilation. (not suitable for a hobby welder, because of the cost) but if you are welding all day, can't be beaten. I use one every day all day and I love it. Hope this helps.

Please note. This is more a run down on styles rather than features and brands, there are heaps of great brands out there.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Attachments
Accu Strike.gif
Accu Strike.gif (18.89 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
slash8789
    Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Ive seen those pics Welding Mike. I understand now that the shaded lens always flips up with the fronts lens cover in helmet with flip-up designs.

Werkspace, I was actually going to get an accustrike helmet but it only comes with a green #9 shaded lens. Cool helmet tho.

Now it's just a matter of finding one that suits your usage, Price, body style, location, etc. Lol
Tubal
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Jody shows one of these in his helmet video....if I recall correctly he liked it.

T
m26blue
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:51 pm

whats the best 2 x 4 auto dark lens out there today. mine is going bad and need a new one like...yesterday! running mostly TIG and a little MIG these days!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

m26blue wrote:whats the best 2 x 4 auto dark lens out there today. mine is going bad and need a new one like...yesterday! running mostly TIG and a little MIG these days!

I'm impressed with this Arcone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003W ... UTF8&psc=1
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

I am glad that I am not the only person with a gaggle of different welding helmets.
slash8789
    Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:55 pm

I got my Miller Titanium 1600 fixed shade a couple of weeks ago and I quite like it even tho I haven't used it yet. :lol: I'm still waiting on my welder to arrive. Ugh!
Dirtynails

I have a Miller Digital Titanium A/D and prefer a passive lens when running 6010 or 7018 rods. I like the older US made glass lenses that are not made anymore. How does the unobtanium AO Weld-Cool lenses compare to what is available now?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The old Cobalt blue "Cool Blue" lenses that are like unicorns on e-bay are very poor in UV protection, one of many reasons they are no longer available.

I've never used one, so I can't speak to visibility, but the old-timers speak of them in hushed tones, with reverence, so I think they've become their own legend.

Steve S
Dirtynails

I found a Lincoln Supervisibility in the old paper envelope and it is noticeably cleaner/clearer than the available Schott glass with the gold tint.

I also picked up an old Fibre Metal 4x5 glass lens in a paper envelope with a silver coating. Not sure what that is about, but looking forward to trying it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Dirtynails wrote:...I also picked up an old Fibre Metal 4x5 glass lens in a paper envelope with a silver coating. Not sure what that is about, but looking forward to trying it.
Oh, I think you'll love it.

It's like watching the weld in black-and-white. Takes a wee bit of adjustment, but you can see so good in a silver lens. They're particularly good with 6010 and 7018.

Steve S
Dirtynails

The old silver Fibre lens is a shade 12. He had 2 of them,,, should I have got both?
Attachments
jf03187-fibre-metal-4-12-x-5-14-welding-helmet-filter-lens-m-456-h-4.jpg
jf03187-fibre-metal-4-12-x-5-14-welding-helmet-filter-lens-m-456-h-4.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Dirtynails

I did not like the silver lens too much. Anybody want this one?
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Dirtynails wrote:I did not like the silver lens too much. Anybody want this one?
Being colorblind I would really be interested in trying this lens.
Dirtynails

Send me your address and I will do my best to get it to you.