General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jmn
  • jmn
    Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

I needed a better view for some out of the way mig welding on a trailer and thought "we have Pyrex tig cups,why not a Pyrex mig nozzle?"

So I made one. Works great. Not for everyday use for obvious breakage reasons but works great for every once and a while when a better view is needed.
Attachments
006.JPG
006.JPG (82.63 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
jdranchman
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

Wow. All I can say is ... I want one! :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jmn,
Welcome to the forum! We talked about doing this a while back, great to see someone had tried it. That would be cool but it would not last long, especially at high amperage but great for the application you described.

So, are you selling these???
-Jonathan
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I think it's cool - nice job :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Jmn, great piece of engineering, and 'thinking outside the square'
As you mentioned 'horses for courses' it definitely has its uses.
And welcome aboard!
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, jmn,

That is a great solution! As you said, not an "every day" tool, as I'd think spatter would have a tendency to penetrate and slowly obstruct the view, and breakage (as you mentioned) would be an issue.

On the other hand, it appears with the design you have, the "fix" is a very simple swap of the pyrex section (as it appears the seal is internal to the metal part, external to the pyrex, so the metal does not accumulate spatter at the joint), and in a mass-production situation, the pyrex bit could be made for pennies, and sold for dimes.

That is a first-class idea, and you should get your patent application in ASAP. If this is the first place you shared it, we'll gladly confirm the "date of first publication" for you.

Steve S
jdranchman
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

Yea - get that patent app in and maybe consider crowd-sourcing the initial startup - with kickstarter or something. I'd surely invest in that. I can see where I'd be able to use that now and then in really tight spaces when you just can't see the arc.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

How does or hold up to spatter? I would think that's probably why they don't make them... Just a thought
jmn
  • jmn
    Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

They hold up fine. The spatter wire brushes off with more effort than a standard nozzle but comes completely off.

Since it' sees limited use and is not for general work spatter is not an issue.