General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Every year our shop participates in The Festival of Trees in Detroit which is a showcase of trees designed and decorated by professional designers, florists, decorators and us, carpenters and welders. The festival is a fundraiser for Childrens Hospital of Michigan. All the trees and labor and supplies are donated by the participants. The trees are auctioned off to the highest bidder and the proceeds go to the hospital.

This past year, I decided to build my own tree out of aluminium. The theme for the tree was The 12 Day's of Christmas. The whole frame of the tree was built and welded out of 1" and 1/2 tube, 1/8th rod ,1/8" flat stock and 1/4"plate . The tree was over 8 foot tall so it had to be built in 2 sections to fit in my van. The tree is 4' wide at the bottom and tapers in to 6" at the top. It also spirals up.
the upper half
the upper half
tree2.jpg (238.06 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
the lower half
the lower half
tree1.jpg (201.18 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Attachments
both halves together
both halves together
tree4.jpg (221.37 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You can only post 3 pictures at a time so here are some more. I also had to make some bases for the "maids a milking" so I cut out a plywood template and used a plasma cutter to cut the bases out of plate.

I also used a planetary ring roller to roll the flat stock and to try to get the taper in the rod. If I had to do it all over again, I would have annealed the rod because it was a huge pain in the a$$ to taper it smoothly.

Over all it turned out pretty good. We got an "Honorable Mention" at the festival
Attachments
the finished tree
the finished tree
tree12.jpg (254.66 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
plasma cut bases
plasma cut bases
tree11.jpg (222.74 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's pretty cool. Congrats on the hon. mention.

I've never worked anywhere that was willing to participate in anything like this. It's not that they weren't aware. I've pushed to get in "Kinetic Kontraption" races, but nobody wanted to keep the lights on after 5, much less contribute consumables or materials. (Cheap, selfish bastards!)

Nice work!

Steve
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

nice! I'm from up north by traverse city, there's a local version of the festival of the trees up there. to be honest, I forgot about it until you mentioned this, I haven't been since I was like 12. I'm sure the one in detroit is more impressive, though. I'll have to ask my fiance if she ever went (she's from the detroit area)
jamaicabraden
    Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:22 am

that's a beautiful tree. so perfectly done and the decorations are really awesome. i wanted to create something new, but im not so artistic. i'll definitely buy an artificial christmas trees this coming December.