General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I know its not the ideal situation but at times its required. I noticed my newer inverter Maxstar 150stl is very sensitive, I think Miller says if line voltage is not +/- 10% if will not start.

I think most standard orange extension cords are 16g, was thinking of making a 12g 25ft for my welder. Anybody else run into this.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Certainly the heavier gauge the better. If you need an extension, pay the extra and get something that can really do the job OK. Especially in worst case conditions (e.g. you require max output from the machine)

There are some good charts here, as well as a voltage drop calculator.

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Nice link trev.... I have just about any size available at work, just need to do some calculations.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I read somewhere an inverter could get seroius damage running on long extensions of insufficient gauge.

If someone know why, it would be of interest.

I guess the quality machines have protection built in for this, as Rick mentioned it wont start if outside range.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
Harbor Freight had some 10g. ones that were cheaper than I could make them up. I bought a 25' one but I don't remember the price, sorry.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
pez
  • pez
    Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 am

You can do the sums pretty easily if you know the cross section of the cable to see what the volt drop is. If the OEM says 10% aim for 5 so you've got a little extra.

Like all things more copper more $, but you can always run twin domestic cables..

+1 on the 10 AWG recommendation. Higher amperage capacity and less voltage drop per unit length. Go for 10 ga and you'll not regret it.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
calstar
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:54 pm

I have a AC/DC linclon buzz box, was just thinking of getting an extension as the power cord(AWG #12) is 6', only going to add about 25ft so I'll use some 10ga power cord I already have, thinking it'll be fine.

Brian