General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jason_alex
    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey guys, What are the best plate rolls on the market Davi? Mongomery? Webb?
Any input is helpful, thanks!!!
Jason_alex

Is anyone rolling plate?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jason,

This is (oddly) the first time I've hear rolling mentioned here. I've had occasion, on a contract job, to roll my own backing rings for aluminum pipe welds on a few of the small manual machines the shop had, but I did not notice the brand, nor would I have enough experience to give you an opinion. I do know that shop employed a master of the art, as I watched him roll steel "tires" to a perfect end match, and he could roll conical transitions perfectly every time.

Steve S
Jason_alex

I was wondering who would be good for a larger size roll probably 3/8"x10' maybe even 1/2"x10'
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Well JMT certainly does their share of marketing and they seem to have a pretty nice machine. At the specs your looking for, unless you find one from WW1 that needs all new bearings, plan on spending $25k up to $100k for the real fancy CNC ones. But most plate rollers will be quite comparable unless you are looking for a very specific set of features (ala CNC etc...)
Be the monkey....
Jason_alex

I was guessing it was going to be around 130 we are wanting 4 roll full cnc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jason_alex wrote:I was guessing it was going to be around 130 we are wanting 4 roll full cnc
Jason, if anyone here is doing that, at that level, they haven't been talking about it. We do have a few people who, if they see this post, may know someone they can refer you to for solid opinions.

Steve S
Jason_alex

Thanks,
I am always intrusted by equipment.