General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

I was prowling around over on Amazon and found this. I immediately got to wondering WTH is it? Don't believe I've ever heard of a Bobcat 225 Carbon Dioxide Engine Driven Welder / Generator

It says Bobcat 225, but the controls look more like a Bobcat 250 to me. My 225 only has a mode switch and a current knob...two controls, not three. I've never seen a 225 with three controls across the top.

And I know I never heard of a Carbon Dioxide engine. So, discounting the CO2 engine, either Miller has changed the design of the Bobcat 225 and not put it on their website -- or somebody's graphic designer was smoking locoweed. Or, I'm just way the hell behind the times. But I don't think that's it. Exhaust stack and fuel filler are in the wrong place for a 225 as well.

Ideas, comments, questions?

http://www.amazon.com/Bobcat-Carbon-Dio ... ln+mig+210
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If you find an engine that runs on CO2 let me know because I put millions of standard cubic feet of it a day out into the air and would love to be able to use it to run an engine. I'll cancel the incoming power.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Reading the product description, I really wonder what someone was doing with that listing.

907209 Type: BOBCAT 225 (KOHLER) Features: -Welder/generator is warranted for 3 years, parts and labor. -Engine is warranted separately by the engine manufacturer. -DC TIG/Stick: 50 - 210 A. -AC TIG/Stick: 50 - 225 A. Gas Type: -Carbon dioxide/Argon mix. Duty Cycle Percentage: -100%. Output Amperage: -225 Amps. Product Type: -Engine driven. Product Type: -Stick welders. Product Type: -Mig welders. Generic Specifications: -MIG/FCAW: 200 A at 20 V, 100% duty cycle. -DC Stick/TIG: 210 A at 25 V, 100% duty cycle. -AC Stick/TIG: 225 A at 25 V, 100% duty cycle. -FCAW/MIG: 19 - 28 V. Generic Dimensions: -33'' H x 20'' W x 45.5'' D, 540 lbs. Dimensions: Overall Height - Top to Bottom: -33 Inches. Overall Width - Side to Side: -20 Inches. Overall Depth - Front to Back: -45.5 Inches. Overall Product Weight: -540 Pounds.

From the above description, it does AC and DC TIG/Stick using some sort of negative CO2/Argon mix, has a negative 100% duty cycle, draws 225 amps in, instead of outputting power...

Overall, it sounds like they are trying to sell the inverse of a Miller Bobcat, and that it should suck up all the specs that the Miller would produce?

It's also negative 33 inches from top to bottom, so you could fit it anywhere! Tuck it under your bench, it MAKES space for you! :mrgreen:
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Isn't it time for a portable welding machine that runs on flatulence?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I've had a stomach virus for a week, I could run a 50HP engine on what I've been pumping out. :lol:

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len