General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey Guys! :D

I wanted to start thread to see where people get there metal from and how good of a deal there getting. If its for hobbyists or daily welders. Do you always buy in state, maybe you ship it in? Now if this is your edge, and that's how your cheaper, by all means keep it a secret but I'm trying to help people that are getting ripped off and also to maybe see if I am too. :lol:

So I was in need of Stainless today, I'm Building some addons for a small trailer "invention" that requires all stainless and Aluminum Tread Plate. Now I live in Colorado, It is a B**ch to find stainless here, well if you do is a 5,000Lb minimum. Well I finally found one place, its 3 hours away though! Oh well, I needed it, so I gave them a Call, I asked for 16 gauge 304 Stainless sheet 4'x8' with the #4 brushed finish. They dont carry it, they do however carry it in the 2B flat finish. Okay, okay, I'll just brush it my self. I asked whats their price per sheet of 2B SS. $277ea!!! Good God Man! As well I asked the price on 304SS 3/4"x .065 Square tubing, Smallest they carried was 1"x .125 x 8' for $178.

This now brings me to my findings I would like to share. I now buy all the time from a place called http://www.OnlineMetals.com. I would like to hear what others are paying for material. This online store sells 3'x4' 16 gauge #4 304SS for $147. The 1" tubing that was $178 per 8' in town is $49 at this store. This is a list of some Material and pricing. I just wanna spit ball here and see how good of a deal this is compared to what other may be getting.

Aluminum
Square Tube - 2" x .250 x 8' = $69
Square Tube - 4" x .500 x 8' = $260
Round Tube - 3" x .125 x 8' = $48
Round Rod - 3" x 8' = $198
Round Rod - 3" x 8' = $397

Stainless
Round Tube (Seamless) 3" x .065 x 8' = $267
Round Tube (Seamless) 1.5" x .065 x8' = $120
Square Tube 2" x .250 x 8' = $158
Square tube 4" x .188 x 8' = $248
Round Tube (Schedule 40) 8' = $144
17-4
Round Rod 1.5 x 8' = $284

Cold Roll
Round Tube 1.5 x .065 x 8' = $56
Sheet 3' x 3' x .063 = $98
DOM 513
Round Tube 1.5 x .120 x 8' = $44
Round Tube 3" x .500 x 8' = $325

Bronze
Bearing SAE 660
Round Rod 3" x 1' = $234
Round Rod (Hollow) 2" x 1" x 1' = $98
Manganese C863
Round Rod 3" x 13" = $208

Copper
Beryllium C173
Round Rod 1" x 1' = $121
C122
Round Tube 1" x .065 x 8' = $98

Titanium
6AI-4V ELI
Round Rod 1" x 8' = $678
Round Rod .5" x 8' =$178
Grade 2
Round Tube 1.5 x .035 x 8' = $251
Round tube .75 x .049 x 8' = $120

I buy materials for the shop I work at, if you need a drop piece you're going to pay more, but that's true of any consumer item. I've buy from onlinemetals, they have a warehouse in Orlando so its delivered to me the next day. There's also SpeedyMetals.com, and I also have a Alro Metals Plus shop about 20 minutes away. They'll cut to length what I need and the pricing can be competitive with the online sites

If you start buying from Onlinemetals be sure to sign up for their email list, they'll send web codes for discounts, sometimes 10% off or free shipping

http://www.speedymetals.com/

http://www.alro.com/locations/locations_cz.aspx
Richard
Website
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I normally buy my metal from the recyclers.
Lately, I visit the metal recycle bin at work.

I'm constantly amazed at what industry throws away.
I collect my metal over time and usually for free.
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks LtBadd!!! Ill for sure have to sign up for the emails list, as well Check out those other cites. I definitely would love them to me that close! Im in Denver so at least there's the Dallas warehouse that's fairly close to me (2 day with ground). Now how do the prices on OnlineMetals compare to SpeedyMetals and Alro Metals.

Nissan20det wrote:Thanks LtBadd!!! Ill for sure have to sign up for the emails list, as well Check out those other cites. I definitely would love them to me that close! Im in Denver so at least there's the Dallas warehouse that's fairly close to me (2 day with ground). Now how do the prices on OnlineMetals compare to SpeedyMetals and Alro Metals.
For what I buy (stainless tube, round bar) many times OnlineMetals is close in $ to Alro, except I can do a local pickup from Alro. If I have to buy online I prefer OLM if they have what I want because I usually have a discount coupon to use. Sometimes Speedy Metals is the only source for what I need, you'll just have to check.

Doesn't look like Alro is in Colorado http://www.alro.com/locations/locationsmain.aspx
Richard
Website
    Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:51 pm

I use onlinemetals all the time. If you sign up and spend I think $300 in a quarter you automatically get 15% off coupon codes.
They ship fast. Usually takes 1 or 2 days to get here in Oklahoma.
SmartDave
    Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I use onlinemetals all the time. Great prices and I normally get next day delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk