General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
DeepSouthWelder
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

Hello I am a new member of the forum and have a quick question for you all .

Recently I purchased a Hobart Stickmate LX 235 AC " Buzz Box " ,and have been very pleased with its performance and

simplicity ,however I have become interested in tig welding and in particular scratch start tig . I would love to begin running

beads with a scratch start tig rig but my holdup is simple my Stickmate is AC only . So my question to yall is

simple what would be the best thing to do ? I have had good luck with both Miller and Hobart machines so I would like to

stick with them.

Thanks, Nathan C
Instagram : natecreel1050_
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Nathan,
Welcome to the forum.

The easy answer is to buy a DC welder from either of the two manufacturers that you mentioned. Buy an Argon regulator, rent a cylinder of Argon, buy a one or two piece Tig torch with a valve and start welding. It's really as easy as that.

You'll get lots of opinions on what's the best choice of any and all of these items and a lot is going to depend on what you're willing to spend. Miller has a few welders that will fit the bill for what you want to do, Maxstar comes to mind. If you're willing to consider a welder of another brand or country of origin you'll find a lot more options at the lower end of the price range.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I had the AC/DC version of the Stickmate. Although it was a great little stick welder, the amperage adjustment was a bit dodgy when it came to tig. The major brands all make simplistic "entry level" machines but, if price is a factor, there are some Asian built machines with great price points and very good track records. Everlast, AHP, etc.....

A little internet research may help you decide. Read all you can before you buy regardless of brand.
DeepSouthWelder

Thanks for the advice Len and Rake ,I have always wanted a miller thunderbolt Ac Dc stick welder and even though the stick mate and the thunderbolt are almost the same miller has a better costumer service I only went with the Hobart because it was cheaper and i could pick it up at my local Tractor Supply .Hobart makes a good machine , but has the worst with custumer service. I can never find a good deal on a thunderbolt and wouldn't mind a used one ,what would be the best way to get one at a somewhat decent price ?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Nate,
You could look for an older Miller Dialarc HF if you have the power to run it. They are bullet proof, I can vouch for that, I'm using the same one that I bought used in 1980 and I've only ever replaced one capacitor a couple years ago. They need about 90 amps input to work to it's full output (310 amps). It stick welds like a dream and it will do Aluminum also. You can usually find them for about the same price as a new entry level machine.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
DeepSouthWelder

Thank you Len I might just do that .
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm with Braehill. The Dialarc HF 250 was a great old school machine. With cooler and torch, they can be had pretty reasonable. Take your time, find a good clean one.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Where I live the miller 330 abp (or my 1963 Airco 300 version of it) are even cheaper than the Dialarc HF.

It's not uncommon to be under $400 and you get 900 lbs of awesome :D

Or, if aluminum welding is not your thing, my ESAB 161 is a great little tig/stick machine :)
They are cheap and they flat out work, no foot control though.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

It occurs to me that those who will not weld aluminum don't need to spend a great deal on a welder. The devil lies in AC needed for aluminum. For me, the magic has been aluminum. I like products made of aluminum. I don't have to paint, it lasts many years without rust, and weighs 1/3 what steel does.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I agree Bill, aluminum is awesome :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.