General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Got a little project coming up involving the welding of wheelie bar brackets on to a rearend. The rearend will be in the car, full (2 qts I believe) of lube and has a vent, as well as a fill cap that can be removed if needed. I want to say I've done this years ago with the install of a 4 link and had no issues, but it was really too long ago to remember what, or even if any precautionary measures were taken. I'll be using my Hobart Beta-Mig, low range on probably 7 or 8 (short circuit).

Just wondering if I should be concerned at all about any possible ignition taking place. Rather be safe than sorry. Thanks guys.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No explosion hazard here. The flash-point is too high, and the heat is too local.

You may "coke" some of the oil on the inside. This is not likely to be an issue, but if you see smoke (not steam) coming from the housing's vent, you might suggest a "flush and fill".

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I see no problem.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

dunkster,
There's little risk of ignition but you can wrap a wet towel or rags on either side, a few inches away, of where the weld will be to keep the heat local. You can place the car up on jack stands and have someone turn the wheels while you're welding to keep the oil moving to prevent coking it on the inside. The pinion gear will act like a pump of sorts to move fresh oil past the heat affected zone and cool it from the inside. Don't cool it with water after welding, let it cool naturally.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Appreciate everyones input...now I'll have a little peace of mind when I tackle it in a couple weeks.