General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ATubbin7
    Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Do any of you guys use sun screen to protect your skin from the UV rays? If so, what is the lowest SPF that is still effective?

Thanks, Austin.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I call it liquid sleeves, I use it when welding Aluminum when it's hot out so I don't have to worry about wearing a coat. I would say SPF30 at minimum, but would recommend SPF45
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
ATubbin7

Okay so then I'm in the clear. Its been 100+ lately and I got SPF 75-100 and I haven't burnt at all. I just wanted to know the minimum I could get.

Thanks, Austin.
danfinn
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 pm

SPF 15 blocks 94% of UV rays, SPF 30 blocks 97%, SPF 40 blocks 98%… SPF 100 blocks 99%,

SPF 30 is all you need. Just reapply every couple hours and you'll be good. There is no SPF level that block 100%. Except SPF long leather sleeves. Hell, i've even gotten sunburn through long sleeve cotton t shirts while fishing all day. Not as bad as no shirt, but none the less, still burnt through. They do have SPF shirts that are for swimming and are really thin and not hot, but I think the fabric isn't conducive to welding safely. Probably way more information than you wanted or needed
ATubbin7

There is no such thing as too much information. I use SPF 100 normally and I don't get any burn at all. Maybe a little tan but even then that hardly ever happens. I put it on once in the morning and I'm good all day. I know I'm supposed to reapply every few hours but since I get really dirty all day I don't want to rub around dirt and make myself dirtier than need be. :geek:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I usually use SPF-45, and when I weld all day I reapply after lunch, but I get the opportunity to clean up well at lunchtime. Others at work have used SPF-30 without any problem; I use the 45 as insurance as I'm sometimes welding inside stainless and aluminum vessels where the reflections magnify the exposure.

I've had jobs where I had to carry Fast Orange and a rag just to clean my hands enough to eat, and it was nasty to reapply, so I could see the benefit of using SPF-100, so even if it degrades during the day, you end with some protection remaining.

A good dark suntan offers "some" natural protection, as well. This was my defense MANY years ago building and repairing boat docks, welding in cut-off jeans and tennis shoes.

Steve S