General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Hi all. I am new to the forum and tig welding. I have been learning mostly from watching YouTube. I bought a used tig welder that came with various filler wire. Some of the wire is for stainless but has no markings. How do I tell what type of stainless wire it is? Thanks for your help.

Yzdrew170 wrote:Hi all. I am new to the forum and tig welding. I have been learning mostly from watching YouTube. I bought a used tig welder that came with various filler wire. Some of the wire is for stainless but has no markings. How do I tell what type of stainless wire it is? Thanks for your help.
If it's not stamped or flag tagged then you won't know. Unless you have access to a Positive Material Identification (PMI) gun, which are very expensive. http://alloytester.com/s1-titan
Richard
Website
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I think I will just buy some new rods.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Just use them for practice on mild steel and 304, 304 will dilute most stainless filler enough that it should be fine if it's not used in a critical application.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Welcome to the Forum, Yzdrew170

Tell us a bit about yourself in the member Introductions section

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc