General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Version6
    Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

I noticed while doing some SMAW in class that my eyes tend to wander and, despite trying to focus, I eventually wind up looking at the inside of my helmet.

Does anyone know of a shroud or some kind of "gasket" I could use to reduce/eliminate the light polution from overhead lights?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This should do the trick.
http://www.usaweld.com/Optrel-Leather-N ... /k5932.htm
Version6 wrote:I noticed while doing some SMAW in class that my eyes tend to wander and, despite trying to focus, I eventually wind up looking at the inside of my helmet. Does anyone know of a shroud or some kind of "gasket" I could use to reduce/eliminate the light polution from overhead lights?
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

My eyes are constantly looking around; I look ahead and behind the weld, off to the sides, check angles, puddle, etc. It is just a quick flick, but I always come back to the puddle.

I don't think I have ever heard of an issue quite like yours! Maybe if you tried something like I do, where you know you are going to 'look away' but change the point to which you will come back to? Just a thought ...
Gary
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Both solutions have merit.

Blocking incoming light dims your view of the inside of the helmet. Fresh clear lenses to eliminate scratches that focus your attention when light hits them also helps. Both reduce the potential for distraction.

However, teaching yourself to scan the weld area in a pattern like scanning instruments in a car or airplane, is an excellent habit. Look at the puddle for fill. Look at the toe on the side you're working. Look ahead at where you're going. Watch the other toe as you work it, then check the puddle again. (Just one example of a sequence.)

If you create a scan sequence for yourself, a rhythm of where your eyes are supposed to focus next, you can avoid the "thousand-yard stare" that comes from being hypnotized by what you're doing.

Steve S