General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
austingtir

Can anyone tell me which type CK steadygrip style trigger will work with my MLS2300 and if so which one out of the three to buy? http://www.ckworldwide.com/steady-grip%E2%84%A2.html

Im guessing Kemppi use a different method to the three available types...?

If I cant use that one can I just use a generic micro switch and wire that into a kemppi plug? Next thing is does anybody know the wiring diagram?
Tooms
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

hi

i found this pdf somewhere with the info about the torch wiring.

edit: the forum dont allow the pdf file, so i will have to upload it first to another place.

Thomas
Tooms

austingtir

Thanks a bunch for that.

Do you reckon rapid welding or any other outfit would let us know what size the kemppi pots are?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

In the absence of actual data, keep in mind the pot is just a voltage divider. The trick is not to allow too much current through the pot circuit. Miller uses a 1K pot. Another brand uses a 10K pot. The 10K pot should work just as well on the Miller as the 1K pot, as the voltage signal from the wiper will be the same.

If you don't get solid information, try a 10K pot, and you can't really go wrong. Potentiometers are cheap, so you can also try 5K, 3.3K, and 1K, progressively, and see how your response changes.

Steve S
austingtir

Awesome thanks for the ideas I think i'll just go down to the local electronics store and try a 10k pot.
Tooms

Hi

i am sure that i have rad that it is 10k some where on the net.

i dont have an torch with amp control so i can not see that but i have an foot pedal and that is an 10k pot.

one thing to note if you have you own control, the torch and foot pedal connetor on the kemppi looks to be the same 7pin, but it is not the same and on the net i can only see the one for torch on sale... still not found the one for the foot pedal.

dont know if you have seen it but i have posted an review of it here and i am showing the connector
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =30&t=8067
austingtir

Ahh yes I forgot there were two plugs on this machine. Maybe just going with a micro switch is going to be the least hassle.

I guess if you really want to bypass the kemppi BS (and $$$) you just open it up and connect to the wires behind the plug and work out what they do.
Tooms

Hi

you can easily finde the torch connector at webshops and ebay, but i have not been able to find the one for the foot pedal.

The part numbers are listed on the item i have.

Tig Torches connector: "Amphenol MS-3106A-16S-1PZ-ST5-624-9 15 15"

Footpedal connector: "Amphenol MS-3106A-16S-1P-ST5-624-9 15 10"

They are both 7pin and look very much alike, but the alinement slot is not at the same place.
austingtir

I pulled the red cover thingy off mine today and thought both plugs looked the same but was only looking at the pin out so I assume your probably right about the offset tang.

I have a dremel and I dont like tangs so I think I can sort that. 8-)

When theres a will not to pay Kemppi ridiculous amounts of money theres a way....
Tooms

But the torch connector plug is for sell on the internet, so you can just get that.

it is only the footpedel connector that i can not finde.

/Tooms
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Tooms,
Why not replace the entire plug with one you can find?
By that I mean the half mounted on the machine and the other half on the lead.
Just make sure the plug will handle the load and the pins line up with the correct wires.
There is apparently over 90 ways to skin a cat.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ex framie wrote:...
There is apparently over 90 ways to skin a cat.
So THAT'S why cats seem so nervous... :lol:

Steve S
austingtir

Yep had a look at mine tonight. Im deffo going to cut another slot in that standard switch plug and use that in the footpedal input plug. The only difference that I can see between it and the footpedal plug is they've rotated the slot about one quarter of the way round. The pins are all numbered so it really doesnt appear complicated. I just hope kemppi uses a normal pot like a 10k or something.

Honestly this to me seems the cheapest and simplest way of dealing with it.
austingtir

Buggers dont give details on whats its for... I havent bothered to ask though.

http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/Dis ... ?c=9754141