General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
byumetalman
    Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Has any tried one of these yet? Seem interesting and might be good for small projects; but the price tag seems high?
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1442624005991.png
uploadfromtaptalk1442624005991.png (244.4 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Uh.....yeah. $4400.
It won't be worth that in a million years. :roll:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-140-A ... /206081364
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Honda 2KVa generator about $999
+
Inverter Welder about $150
=
Cordless Welding

Do everything the battery job does, plus have a power generator on hand for lots of other great uses.

EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Also, with the generator option, you get to welcome another internal combustion engine to your home, and that always makes me happy.

Kym
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Always nice to increase ones cylinder index. Mines at 27 not counting those not running.{(number of running internal combustion cylinders) compressed gas cylinders a different category}.
Bet AKweldshop and farm has more.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I've tested this and it works fine for offroad emergencies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjH8I1oKNMY

Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I know Miller is working on releasing a battery powered unit as well...I did a survey for them about it. I think arc time was in the 2 hr range.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

rick9345 wrote:Always nice to increase ones cylinder index. Mines at 27 not counting those not running.{(number of running internal combustion cylinders) compressed gas cylinders a different category}.
My C.I. (Cylinder Index) is 45.

If I recall correctly, the normally accepted goal is to match ones age. I'm right on the money :D

As far as "battery welding", I think I'll stick to my inverter welder and my $100 generator - not as handy, but the price tag is a little steep on the battery model for the occasional need.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Make your own engine drive welder. http://www.zena.net/

Has anyone used these?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
rick9345 wrote:Always nice to increase ones cylinder index. Mines at 27 not counting those not running.{(number of running internal combustion cylinders) compressed gas cylinders a different category}.

If I recall correctly, the normally accepted goal is to match ones age. I'm right on the money :D

As far as "battery welding", I think I'll stick to my inverter welder and my $100 generator - not as handy, but the price tag is a little steep on the battery model for the occasional need.
Hey now, I think I need to know more about this C.I. specification... Is this just internal combustion engines, or pressure cylinders included? (If pressure vessels, is it only "high" pressure, or any and all, including air compressors? Include the compressor head cylinders as well?)

IC engines alone, I am decidedly under the cylinder/age ratio, at 23 cylinders in running engines, actually installed in vehicles or machines, and another 13 either removed or currently dead and sitting in the shop. If including compressor cylinders, another 4, and pressure vessels adds another 8.
Hmm... Add this, carry the 1....

As to the cordless welder, I'd probably just revert to using my O/A torch for most needs where I can't plug in to an outlet. (And carry two cylinders along with the engine cylinders of the vehicle... Now I'm always going to be counting! :mrgreen: )
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Interestingly itsnot listed on the Dewalt Australia web site.
For that type of money in USD, we'd be screwed another 50%, So you would be better off buying a top of the line inverter and a bloody good generator to run it for similar coin.

Oh great now I have something else I didnt even know existed to feel inadequate about!
My ci is woefully inadequate, only have 19 serviceable and 2 currently being rebuilt! And I'm over 50....
Back to the doc for stronger pills to handle this first world short comming.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

hey_allen wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:

Hey now, I think I need to know more about this C.I. specification... Is this just internal combustion engines, or pressure cylinders included? (If pressure vessels, is it only "high" pressure, or any and all, including air compressors? Include the compressor head cylinders as well?)

IC engines alone, I am decidedly under the cylinder/age ratio, at 23 cylinders in running engines, actually installed in vehicles or machines, and another 13 either removed or currently dead and sitting in the shop. If including compressor cylinders, another 4, and pressure vessels adds another 8.
Hmm... Add this, carry the 1....

As to the cordless welder, I'd probably just revert to using my O/A torch for most needs where I can't plug in to an outlet. (And carry two cylinders along with the engine cylinders of the vehicle... Now I'm always going to be counting! :mrgreen: )
Sorry Allen - internal combustion cylinders only (and I only count the running ones) :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

WerkSpace wrote:I've tested this and it works fine for offroad emergencies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjH8I1oKNMY

Yes, this works, and it might not be as bad an idea as some think.

Years ago, while four-wheel driving in remote mountainous country, I snapped a steering shaft, blew one of the bronze bearings that held it in place, and was in a right mess.

With three 12V batteries connected in series, we welded the shaft together, got some clay and aluminium foil and formed a mold from the remaining bronze bearing, poured the mold with solder to manufacture a replacement bearing, put it all together - and kept going!

A starter motor or vehicle recovery winch can draw 200-300 amps from a battery (yes, I've measured it). How often have you heard someone crank an engine over for an eternity trying to start an engine? Pulling 100 amps out of a battery for a minute or so is nothing. Would never hurt the battery. DC welding too - nice!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
GarryH
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 am

[quote="

Sorry Allen - internal combustion cylinders only (and I only count the running ones) :D[/quote]

Damn, my CI is only 51 so I am 10 almost 11 shy of the CI:age ratio.

Do they make V8 welders? I only have 4 V8 cars at the moment, seems welders is the way to get this score back on track.

;)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can see one use for a "cordless" (not, unfortunately, "hoseless") TIG welder, and that's inner vessel repairs.

Frankly, though, for the money I'll drag a few more leads with me. I have to drag the argon, whether a mini-bottle or a hose, so I might as well drag the whole kit and not worry about running out of juice.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You can buy a Fronius cordless welder here in AUS, and apparently its awesome. Though it would likely go more than the 4k.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Ready Welder, or a Goweld and a couple of auto/marine/golf cart batteries are a lot cheaper. I owned both of those and they both do a good job.