General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
speedfreak87
    Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

I have to ask since I never used it before, but can I tig weld aluminum (corner welds) with the pvc coating on, and just cut it back from the edge about 1/2-3/4"? trying to keep the scratches to a minimum.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You could try it, but that close it would most likely melt. Peeling it back about 3 or 4 or more inches sounds better. You could always lay it back over and reseal it with blue painters tape.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
speedfreak87
    Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

Hmm.. any other tips to keep the material from getting scratched?
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

Cover your bench in CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN Carpet (Something that has some heat resisting properties) of some kind or cardboard anything softer than Ali it will also force you to put the earth clamp on you job direct and if its that ornate use aluminium in between your earth clamp and job make sure its not earthed through the pvc cursing will be your end result Definitely peel the corners back you will know if its not far enough because it no fun geting the melted stuff of your finish BAAAAADDDD best to go more not less split it neatly at a 45 to the corner and listen to DELRAYDELLA