General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
mmallory

As a hobby class welder I'm pretty sure this isn't for me:

http://keipertech.com/hydrogen-products ... h-systems/

...But has anybody heard anything about this class of tool?

Milt...
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

HHO generators have been around quite a while - best known was the H2O-2000 but they were stupidly over priced at a time when oxy / fuel prices were affordable - they are typically very inefficient & the resulting gas can be used for heating but not much else from what I've seen - don't think you could weld with it - if the unit is portable though it would be a good heating torch rather than lugging bottles around if you needed to be mobile - also the volume produced is quite low so although the flame creates very high temperatures it's very small so not really a substitute for a pepper pot - seen very good soldered joints being done with them - they are so simple I would like to see a Chinese maker take them up & sell them on Ebay as they do have a niche use / market - more to the hobbyist than any implied industrial use - it's also pretty simple to make & simply power with a cheap inverter stick welder - one day I might get around to it - a few years back I made a few " dry cells " for people who had bought into the Stan Meyer myth / legend - never heard of any real success with them - I guess with modern electronics it's possible to recreate a higher current capacity version of the driver circuit from his demo unit even though that's not what was allegedly on the actual car - the tube type cell would be easy enough to make by anyone & should be capable of higher outputs than the plate stacks normally used.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Milt,
Welcome to the forum.

I produce nearly a million and a half standard cubic feet of Hydrogen everyday and I use a O/A torch or a plasma cutter for cutting and an old stick welder for Tig and stick welding. I vent off more Hydrogen a day than this thing could make in a month. That should give you a clue as to how well these things perform.

I truly hope that one day these things will finally work, but I'm not convinced that we're there quite yet.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I don't see anything wrong with using hydrogen as a fuel - it's just the inefficiencies of producing it on demand & the safety / practical issues of storing it plus the flashback issues when mixed with oxygen - it should be possible to sort these out - it may never catch on for industry but for a hobbyist it would mean an end to bottle rentals & paying ever increasing ransoms to the like of BOC ! now if we could just get a Tig set with a built in argon producer kind of like the plasma cutters with built in compressors life would be great !
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

It's not too far off, from what the MultiPlaz is doing.
A different method of getting there, but similar results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAf0QOrdKjM