General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Members,
I would like to get a feedback from everyone here. Within welding and fabrication, which products, machines, consumables, processes, etc would you like to see more videos, posts and reviews on? I am looking for specific products like a particular sanding disc or brand, specific welding machine, specific process, etc as well as just general requests. Just curious to see what others want to see more of.
-Jonathan
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Curious as to how well these work and if there size makes it to hard to see puddle. Unfortunately unless you have access to them they cost to much just to try out for shooting a video. I will throw it out there maybe you have one or know someone with one or something similar :D

Flooding cups
https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main ... u0uc8dgkni

Trailing shields
https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main ... u0uc8dgkni

Some vids of titanium would be nice also.

Edit remember reading somewhere CK was making trailing shield and was gonna invest in a curved one depending on cost, but havent seen them yet. I will have to search CK site see if any new info out there about them.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Id be interested in seeing a direct comparison of the effects of polarity on tig welding, keeping the same set up and on differing materials.

Maybe a run down on
machine cables, like whats best whats worst for given application

A do's and dont's on stick rods ie, what's the basic main use for common rod types

Welding automotive exhaust tubing and welding in rust patches using a tig... most vid's are with mig or oxy very few are tig?

Being a new TIGger, I'd like to see some content on tungsten grinding -- how the tip affects the arc, grinds for different materials, etc. Also a comparison/review of tungsten grinders.

Helmet reviews and comparisons. Especially the 3M Speedglas 9100 XXi v. Optrel 2.5 Vegaview
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Tips on sanitary or food grade stainless. Tips on coping pipe or channel or I beams. Just thinking of a few thing I had to learn myself on the fly. Lots of welders out there do repair work like I do including quite a few of the part timers and hobbyists. You and I know a few Jonathan. Maybe how to approach a repair job and decide the right repair method including the welding and end product.
Be the monkey....

Superiorwelding wrote:Members,
I would like to get a feedback from everyone here. Within welding and fabrication, which products, machines, consumables, processes, etc would you like to see more videos, posts and reviews on? I am looking for specific products like a particular sanding disc or brand, specific welding machine, specific process, etc as well as just general requests. Just curious to see what others want to see more of.
-Jonathan
What's this about Jonathan? Are you starting a review website?

Richard
Richard
Website

Richard,
I am collaborating with Jody on future videos and trying to get some feedback from others on what they would like to see. The goal is to add additional value to what he already has done as well as bring new ideas/videos to the table. It is hard to guess what others want to see videos on sometimes and especially hard to guess what products some might want to see a review on because they were wanting to purchase said item.
-Jonathan

nickn372 wrote:Tips on sanitary or food grade stainless. Tips on coping pipe or channel or I beams. Just thinking of a few thing I had to learn myself on the fly. Lots of welders out there do repair work like I do including quite a few of the part timers and hobbyists. You and I know a few Jonathan. Maybe how to approach a repair job and decide the right repair method including the welding and end product.
Nick,
The coping would be interesting for sure. Like you, I pretty much learned on my own, and sometimes I still don't know if I am doing it right. :lol:
-Jonathan
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I have a Miller 351 and would like to know more about the diferences between transformer verses inverter settings, because most of the posts refer to inverters and although one would think they are close I still have to wonder!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Seems reasonable. It's got to be hard to get new footage for a regular vid and still make a living. Looking forward to seeing the results.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Jon my thought was that there is so much prep and thinking that goes into some of our jobs as welders that it may be good to share trade tricks related to fab and prep too. Honestly I think it's quite rare to be the guy that gets most of his work already prepped and you just have to sit down and burn away. I know I use more math and geometry than I ever thought I would when I set out as a welder.
Be the monkey....

nickn372 wrote: I know I use more math and geometry than I ever thought I would when I set out as a welder.
My comment is that you're (we, most of us) not just a welder, but also a fabricator...big difference.
Richard
Website
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for all the tighelp so far. It has helped me a bunch. A review of the new lincoln tig 200 would be great. Also, I definitely could use some help, thoughts etc. On 4130 chromoly .083 wall as my friend pulse tig welds a super fine head fairly clumpy looking I just either manual pulse or don't pulse at all. My question is my beadwidth is quite a bit larger than his 1.1 pulse a second welding. Can u overheat the metal etc. Thanks for the tips John.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Coping, notching, angles and miters, especially on square tubing, channel, and I-beams.

And duel-shield FCAW-G.

You guys are awesome. :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Coping, notching, angles and miters, especially on square tubing, channel, and I-beams.

And duel-shield FCAW-G.

John,
Jody and I talked about this idea and are working on plans for the future. There is strong interest in structural welding and associated fabrication, like you and Nick mentioned, so it makes sense to dive into it.

The FCAW is being worked on already as well.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Coping, notching, angles and miters, especially on square tubing, channel, and I-beams.

And duel-shield FCAW-G.

John,
Jody and I talked about this idea and are working on plans for the future. There is strong interest in structural welding and associated fabrication, like you and Nick mentioned, so it makes sense to dive into it.

The FCAW is being worked on already as well.
-Jonathan

Eagerly looking forward too it. :)
Grind on.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

How about more Spray Transfer MIG? Pulsed spray, 3-6G/F positions, Technique, settings etc.

soutthpaw wrote:How about more Spray Transfer MIG? Pulsed spray, 3-6G/F positions, Technique, settings etc.
Jody and I are actually working on that very thing as we speak, spray, pulse spray, Flux core ,etc that should be up soon.
-Jonathan
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:How about more Spray Transfer MIG? Pulsed spray, 3-6G/F positions, Technique, settings etc.
Jody and I are actually working on that very thing as we speak, spray, pulse spray, Flux core ,etc that should be up soon.
-Jonathan
Great, look forward to it. There is really a lack of info out there on Spray. No settings guides either. For example my Millermatic 350p settings chart just says "use spray transfer". Gee, thanks Miller, that's so helpful!
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Brilliant ideas guys.
I know sfa about spray transfer, my mig wont even do it.
As for fabrication, the more info the better.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....