General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Basically i'd like peoples opinion on how to communicate with steel suppliers when their quality comes up short. I have a few local suppliers in my area, and i have been having problems with theit processing quality in the last few months. Im not going to mention names for now, but my last supplier didn't take it to kindly when i would come back with a return. After three or four bad lots in a row, he told me to shove it up my ass.

What happened with the first was simple. I would always order an extra length of steel, yet half the time they would not chop the ends off, and i would be left with uneven horrid ends on half of my apparently cut to length pieces. To make it even worse, if there was 7m left, half of the time i would not receive it with my order, and last off, half of the cuts were never square. I was polite the first 5 or six times, and basically told them to keep on eye on their cutter, as he was not cutting off ends, or squaring the machine. They were a bit standoffish, so i started bringing back half of my orders within an hour of pickup, as half of the cuts were off by 2mm, and not square, and the other half had one end raw still, and horridly uneven.

After a few times, he told me to find another supplier. So here we are around 4 months into a new supplier relationship. A new cutter was put on a week ago, and in yesterdays order i got 12 8m lengths of RHS (40x40x2), cut into lots for framing. Their was literally 18 dirty ends in my order, and none of the 6m of left over steel appeared in the order, and the cuts were clearly not square. Some of the mitre cuts were shocking. Lets say, even with as much lenience as i could inject, they were still pretty standoffish when i returned with around 35/40 short lengths that were over 3mm off length, out of square, or had unfinished ends still on.....

I think I have the right to come back if they are not doing their job, especially when I am paying good money for processing. I didn't even ask for a refund, i just let them know that their quality is slipping. Is their a good way to handle this scenario? Im not the biggest customer, I only work from home and fill orders for mates small businesses. I normally get around $200-300 worth of steel weekly.....including processing, so I can see why they would be a bit blunt when I'm not making them good money.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Back door and make friends with cutter/loaders, for a few box of donuts went along and explain need cut to size to make it easier to fab.
Then front counter another box donuts and ask for cut to size.
Now my 45* miters with a little clean up ready to weld.
Metal Super Markets Roseville MN.
As in everything it is all about relation ships and explanation
Happy steel hunting,good luck with effort.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

First you need to know what they guarantee as a tolerance, most are +\- 1/8" or 3.175mm unless specified... Now as far as being true, that is on them to make sure their saw is set up correctly.

My local place is good but I rarely buy to he exact size I need, and raw lengths can be +/- 1" easy. I do specify UN blemished materials however at times depending what I'm building. I also always specify I want the drop if I'm being charged.

Like Rick said relationships are important an help when you have the odd ball issue, once I ordered a wrong length...they cut me another piece no issue, have even left stuff out so I can grab it after they close. That comes with time, but it sounds to me the expectations arnt clear or they just are use to a rough cut.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

This issue would drive me crazy - so I've never ordered anything pre-cut to a specific size.

My tolerances are very close when I build and I would not expect a random, low dollar cutting employee to hit my specs.

If I had to get stuff pre-cut, I would ask for a written agreement to be signed specifying what I would, and would not accept.

This up-front agreement would smooth out the situation in the event they did not deliver the specified accuracy.

It would also give them the opportunity to bow out before any work is performed if the tolerances are not something they can work within.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I just figure if it needs to be exact I better cut it myself. Then when it's wrong I don't have to yell at anyone. :)
I have more questions than answers

Josh
VincenzioVonHook

Poland308 wrote:I just figure if it needs to be exact I better cut it myself. Then when it's wrong I don't have to yell at anyone. :)
That is spot on. I just do it to save time at the moment, as it is just a back yard business. I have never looked into what they offer tolerance wise, and what is considered within spec, and suppose I have never stated that tolerance is critical (probably my mistake).

I just figured that 780mm is 780mm, not 782, or 777.......I come from a machining background so I can be anal about my tolerances. The major problem I am having (which should not be a problem) is the suppliers not cutting the start of the tube square before proceeding with the next cuts. Out of every length there is a good chance at the moment that I will get both end pieces, and they cam be a mm or 3 out of square, and a weird diameter towards the end. With the type of work I am doing, its not that big of a deal (its mainly shop fitting benches, rails and piping), I just like to be as close to stated measurements for my own sanity.

I will try to work my magic on the cutter, but he can't speak english well and seems a bit intimidated by people.......or I could buy a decent saw and cut myself.......I can already do a better job with my bunnings sourced gmc puss chop saw.....and it has more lateral flex than my dick at the moment. Ill pop down and have a talk to them today. I find it hard to get decent contact with the owner. The women that man the counter don't take no shit from anyone. Im pretty sure they would eat me alive.

I suppose its what you get when you shop around for the cheapest cutting prices......
VincenzioVonHook

MinnesotaDave wrote:This issue would drive me crazy - so I've never ordered anything pre-cut to a specific size.

My tolerances are very close when I build and I would not expect a random, low dollar cutting employee to hit my specs.

If I had to get stuff pre-cut, I would ask for a written agreement to be signed specifying what I would, and would not accept.

This up-front agreement would smooth out the situation in the event they did not deliver the specified accuracy.

It would also give them the opportunity to bow out before any work is performed if the tolerances are not something they can work within.
Im that backwards when it comes to basic business i would have never thought of a written agreement. I will keep that in mind when it comes to more critical Applications. I will need to find a processor that does repetitious plasma cutting soon, and these pieces will need to be spot on.....

MinnesotaDave wrote:This issue would drive me crazy - so I've never ordered anything pre-cut to a specific size.

Good stuff here, the only thing I would add and maybe it's a given is to inspect the pieces before you left with them, or if delivered then do the inspection before signing the receipt.
Richard
Website
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Dude I'm fucking dying at the lateral movement snippet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Although I am a very small time customer, I'm with Poland - if it needs to be perfect, I cut it myself.

My supplier tends to be pretty accurate all the same...

Kym

I always cut the long stuff myself, except for having the supplier cut a 20' into two 10s, so it's easier to get to the house. When I need something sheared, I always tell 'em, "I don't want to have to grind on it, so get it dead nuts on for me" -- said with a grin. And they always do. Doesn't hurt, I guess, that I drop by at closing time about twice a year with a cold twelver of tasty beverages. :D Best thing I've found is make friends with the guys, and they'll bust their asses to do you a good job.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I disagree with kissing their butts for them to do their JOB. They are getting paid to do that job. Comes down to work ethics, do what your work order tells you to do. These guys are normally rough cutters so they not familiar with spec jobs. Unless your supplier does fab jobs on site too don't expect precision and then again based on how you order it. I do agree with specifying a tolerance with the front office if you want more than a rough cut. If they agree they can do it then yes hold them to it.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

It boils down to picking your battles as well. Some parts that are a few mm off may not be a big deal while others it is. On parts that matter they should make it right especially if you gave them a tolerance to hold. I get almost everything processed for me and the company I work for and I know the headache it can be at times. Granted, we spend several hundred thousand dollars a year in material so that does carry weight. I see the point of not having to give cookies and milk to a companies employees to do their job right on one hand but I will tell you that if you give donuts, pizza or whatever now and again that really carries weight. Now I can get things done that others definitely wouldn't from my suppliers. You reward your employees for a job well done and give a little extra to have them do it right so why would that be any different for a vendor? I have rejected parts that cost the supplier thousands, and some are still sitting at their facility, but if they are wrong they are wrong. Also keep in mind, most metal suppliers carry a 1/16"-1/4" tolerance and if that is not good enough you might have to pay extra for them to get it dead on. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Communication is key on any project. Also. Don't ask a vendor to do something that is not outside their wheel house and expect them to be good at it, or hit your dimensions.

As for your question, if I were you and I have brought it to their attention and they still cannot or will not get your dimensions correct I would find another supplier and if there are no other I would either accept what they give or start setting yourself up to process things yourself.
-Jonathan
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Vincenzo
Bite the bullet, buy a decent saw and do your own cutting.
You are trained in .0001" your cutter has a vague idea of what an inch looks like, you'll never be happy.
Cut out the middle man and the stress, just get them to deliver the steel to you.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:30 pm

I will never ever under any circumstance bribe someone to do their job correctly. I will however reward proper service. Whether it be with donuts, pizza, cookies and milk or all the above. Sounds like you need to find a supplier and work the requirements out AHEAD of time. If you have no options there buy a saw and cut it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk