General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

I'm trying to TIG Weld merge a 2 inch stainless steel exhaust pipe into a 3 inch SS pipe at a 30 degree angle. What do you folks recommend for clamping the two pipes together (with adjustable angle option) so I can do this job once...and only once :p?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It looks to me like you have a very good fit, so I, personally, would not consider clamping. I'd place six to eight fusion tacks around the perimeter, then weld alternating sections for my first pass to keep the "draw" even, and then perform a cap pass to make it pretty. The profile you've presented is obviously hard to clamp. If you feel you absolultely must clamp it, I'd tack straps of scrap across the pieces in the areas I'd prefer to weld last.

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

Check this, Not sure if its any good but worth a look

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TC1-Tube-Pip ... 0753929908

Mick
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

WHy not wrap the pipe with some tape and tack it? The tape won't slip and you can tack it away from the tape then weld it up. Tack the long end of the flange and them the back. Take the tape off and tack the top then the bottom.