General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

IMG_073D.gif
IMG_073D.gif (79.86 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Hi, I make small parts and have not had this happen before... I used silicon bronze on two steel parts - wire brushed and wiped with denatured alcohol then dried with a clean paper towel.... one side had the pit shown the other side looks like it had soil thrown in it.... what went wrong here... I imagine there have been numerous questions of this nature but I don't know the exact terminology so a search would not be effective for me...
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Filler metal clean?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Was there any kind flux? Flux will burn and contaminate if it gets too hot. I think you can do a braze joint too hot and burn out some of the different elements that make up the brazing filler also.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Was there any kind flux? Flux will burn and contaminate if it gets too hot. I think you can do a braze joint too hot and burn out some of the different elements that make up the brazing filler also.
It was my impression he was TIG welding with silicon bronze wire??

To the OP, I believe that wire brushing the steel wasn't enough to clean the surface, was this new material?
Richard
Website
    Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Was there any kind flux? Flux will burn and contaminate if it gets too hot. I think you can do a braze joint too hot and burn out some of the different elements that make up the brazing filler also.
It was my impression he was TIG welding with silicon bronze wire??

To the OP, I believe that wire brushing the steel wasn't enough to clean the surface, was this new material?

You are correct- there was no flux - Wire brushing was not enough? What else might I use?
Thanks to those of you responding...

Zondfive wrote: You are correct- there was no flux - Wire brushing was not enough? What else might I use?
Thanks to those of you responding...
Flap wheel, or disc, dynafile...any abrasive to effectively clean the surface. The shape of the part would determine the best method, or whatever you have on hand and can achieve the same result.
Richard
Website