General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Fido's Butt
    Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

Do any of yoos guys know if brazing rods made for TIG (like silicon and aluminum bronze) can be used for oxy/acetylene brazing like brass rods are? If so, what flux would be used? I have left over rods from when I had a TIG machine and want put them to some use.
niftyweld
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

It’s all basically the same, copper plus silicon or aluminum to lower the melting point and help it wet.

The technique is to use the tig torch to just almost melt the base metal but not quite. The arc is directed on the filler rod and it wets out and makes the weld like flowing butter.Some header companies might also be using nickel rod. It melts a bit lower than steel too. ..And flows like butter. Nickel rods are more expensive than silicon bronze. Or just pick up some silicon bronze from Airgas. Hope this had any help with the first part..
Looking for good deals in Welding Supplies
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

niftyweld wrote:It’s all basically the same, copper plus silicon or aluminum to lower the melting point and help it wet.

The technique is to use the tig torch to just almost melt the base metal but not quite. The arc is directed on the filler rod and it wets out and makes the weld like flowing butter.Some header companies might also be using nickel rod. It melts a bit lower than steel too. ..And flows like butter. Nickel rods are more expensive than silicon bronze. Or just pick up some silicon bronze from Airgas. Hope this had any help with the first part..
Reread the question,I think he is curious about so called tig rods and wants to know about using them with O/A and flux.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)