General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Fido's Butt
    Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:38 am

I have a common Victor style rosebud heating nozzle and want to shorten it. The question is, is the base of the copper tube where it connects to the brass mixing fixture sweated in, screwed or pressed in? I can't see any solder at the joint so I don't think it was sweated. I suppose I could cut the other end, rethread and put a new bend in it. But doing it from the base end would be easier depending how it's attached. Another way is to cut and insert a 5/16" (the size of the tube) copper coupling and sweat it on. Anyone try to shorten a nozzle like this?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've seen them screwed, soldered, and pressed. If you need a shorter or a smaller one just buy it. I've rebrazed a couple that came apart but only to get by till I could get a new one.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Fido's Butt

I looked and couldn't find any that were short, just the 10-11" versions. I found one, but it was specifically for a certain torch, not a Victor. I wish someone did make a smaller one for sure.
Poland308

How small do you want? You may have to switch to a smaller handle to get a smaller rose bud.

Josh
Fido's Butt

I want to make it half as long, about 6". I did find a copper coupling for 5/16" tube that's used in HVAC applications and will use 1/16" dia. 56% silver solder wire to make the joint. I'll post a photo in another forum (I guess you can't post photos on this one?) if all goes well. If it doesn't go well I'll just say my camera broke and never bring it up again.
Last edited by Fido's Butt on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308

Debur the inside good. Probably will be fine. Make sure you have back flash arestors on you torch handle.

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Fido's Butt wrote:I want to make it half as long, about 6". I did find a copper coupling for 5/16" tube that's used in HVAC applications and will use 1/16" dia. 56% silver solder wire to make the joint. I'll post a photo in another forum (I guess you can't post photos on this one?) if all goes well. If it doesn't go well I just say my camera broke and never bring it up again.
Yes, you can post photos on this forum. The simplest way is to use a hosting site like photobucket or tinypic, but you can upload pictures under 250KB directly.

The victor rosebud is typically silver-brazed (not to be confused with silver-soldered), which will not fail unless the whole head nears red heat.

Steve S