General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
SteveM
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

My Speedglas 9000x isn't working out forTig, so I'm researching helmets for a replacement. I've been considering the Miller Digital Infinity. I came across the Optrel helmets and I'm intrigued. Who has experience with them and would you buy it again and why?

I have the Digital Infinity and posted a review in the Products Review forum, there are other helmet reviews there as well, good luck
Richard
Website
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

I have both Miller Digital Elite as well as Optrel e684. For tig, I don't think there's a better option than the Optrel with it's auto shade mode it can change as you weld from higher to lower amperage. Sweet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
Jared
    Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 pm

I have 3 Optrel helmets at the moment , 2 x e680's , one with the compressed air feed . Also a e684 which is fast becoming my go to helmet , as mentioned the auto ranging is fantastic when Tig welding .
Murex 353is TransTig
Esab Aristo Mig 4001i Pulse
Murex 406s Transmig

Jared wrote:I have 3 Optrel helmets at the moment , 2 x e680's , one with the compressed air feed . Also a e684 which is fast becoming my go to helmet , as mentioned the auto ranging is fantastic when Tig welding .
Sounds like one of those things I'd have to try to know if its what I'd like. When I set my shade (for high or low amps) I never find myself wishing it was adjustable during the weld
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

LtBadd wrote:
Jared wrote:I have 3 Optrel helmets at the moment , 2 x e680's , one with the compressed air feed . Also a e684 which is fast becoming my go to helmet , as mentioned the auto ranging is fantastic when Tig welding .
Sounds like one of those things I'd have to try to know if its what I'd like. When I set my shade (for high or low amps) I never find myself wishing it was adjustable during the weld
It all just sort of depends if you like to use a wide range of amperage using the footpedal. If you keep a steady amperage through-out the weld and don't really start or taper off to a low-amperage, then it would be of little to no benefit. If you frequently find yourself trailing off to terminate a weld bead and you have a TIG that goes low, then this helmet is fantastic. You can literally taper down from say, 200A all the way down to 3 or 4A without having to strain your eyes to see the arc because your [traditional] auto-darkening helmet is set to shade 12+. This one will "lighten up" on it's own as the arc light intensity decreases, so you can comfortably see a sub-10A arc just as nice as a 200+A arc. It really is sweet. But of course not necessary and not for everyone.