General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I am having a real bad problem with head aches since I started this job guys. I have a Miller Elite series auto darkening helmet. It was no cheap piece of crap let me tell you. I was having a problem with the front of it and I got an extra pad with an air bladder in it to soften that up. Worked ok. But in the back of my head damn it if I don't get muscle tension back there. Feels like someone smacked me with a 2 X 6 in the back of the head.

I am wondering if any of you have had this problem. If you did how did you deal with it. It gets bad enough that by the end of the week I am fried for the weekend. I go to the Chiro regularly and to massage therapy. Both help. I need something that will over come or compensate with this problem or I can see me giving this job up with in a few months. I don't want that. But living with these head aches or sometimes migraines is getting ridiculous to say the least.

Any help any one can offer would be appreciated. I have adjusted my work station so I am not looking down at my work at all. I keep my work at eye level when I can. This has helped a little. Not much but little.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Is it the tightness of the headstrap or just the weight of the helmet, itself?

I have an Elite, too and am always adjusting the headstrap knob. Sometimes it's too loose, sometimes it's too tight but it always seems to be in the same size range. If it feels like the strap is pressing in on my skull or cutting into it, I loosen it for awhile until it starts to bug me that it's too loose.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Here I go again with the SpeedGlas. The new 9100 model has a split crown strap to remove pressure on the pressure (sorry) points on the top of the head as well as, get this.... accupuncture spikes in the front of the band to increase blood flow to the scalp. Thats what they told us anyway. NOT trying to sell them. I just know how good they are. On my speed glas, 9002x i have a toweling sweat band at the normal spot on the front, one on the crown band across the top and also one cut in half to go on each side of the ratchet at the back. Dont be afraid to put those extra pads around the shield, may just help.

Check this also might help.

http://www.ukwelder.com/shop2/shop_inde ... elmet_pads

mick
Greg From K/W

Its not the strap its the weight of it. It fits well and I do change the setting a little bit here and there. Maybe I will be looking into that helmet Mike. Or maybe make one out of fiber carbon LMAO.

Dont know much about weight. i know youcan get chrome leather shields. but dunno about using them full time.

mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

There are carbon fiber helmets out there already ,but the only one I saw that listed the shipping weight showed it to be slightly heavier than the Elite. Might be worth looking into, though.

The Miller site said the Elite was 18 ounces (a pound and a half) which is roughly the weight of a fairly decent sized framing hammer sitting on your head all day. The one helmet I saw on Amazon showed the shipping weight to be 2 pounds.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Greg From K/W

Ya guess thats out lol. I am feeling better and the strain seams to be reducing now. Will wait maybe the adjustments I am making are helping out after all.

Hi there.

if its too heavy some helium .in it. wonder gas that.
mick.
Greg From K/W

I think that the adjustments from my chiropractor has helped out quit a bit. Its easing off now. Plus I try not to bend my head forward and I try to flex my rhomboids to keep my shoulders back. I had a head ache on Tuesday went to the chiro on Thursday and Its all eased off now. So I think the problem is fading now.